Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > my new perspective on C++

my new perspective on C++

arnuld

hi,

it has been a long time since i posted my last problem . anyway, i
wanted to say something.

i am not learning C++ from last 1 month as you folks already know that
Stroustrup was too difficult for me & the book availability problems
in my country etc etc. last week, i decided to read about OOD for 7
days, i read some pages of Booch' book & found it to be too
incomprehensible. then i tried Object Oriented Software Construction
(OOSE), after banging my head:

1.) with Stroustrup's article "Why C++ is not just an Object-Oriented
Langugage"
2.) with OOSE &
3.) trying those concepts (of OOSE) at Ruby programming language

i started to understand C++, (except Pointers). my understanding about
C++ started to grew. i looked at some C++ code & an insight about its
design started to come.

i still do not get Stroustrup but my C++ understanding has increased
by a minor amount, as if i am able to get the basics design of C++ & i
feel i can do C++ & Stroustrup approaches the C++ from a very-
different angle than mine.

any thoughts you want to share on this.

nw

> i still do not get Stroustrup but my C++ understanding has increased
> by a minor amount, as if i am able to get the basics design of C++ & i
> feel i can do C++ & Stroustrup approaches the C++ from a very-
> different angle than mine.
>
> any thoughts you want to share on this.

The FAQ has losts of good advice on this see: http://www.parashift.com/
c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html

Personnally I found Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo extremely
useful. My advice would be to get hold of a copy and work through it
from the beginning, even if you feel you already understand the
concepts being taught, doing that improved my C++ a lot.

arnuld

> Personnally I found Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo extremely
> useful. My advice would be to get hold of a copy and work through it
> from the beginning, even if you feel you already understand the
> concepts being taught, doing that improved my C++ a lot.

thanks, i thought Acelerated C++ was for programers.

BTW, FAQS says there are only 2 books for learning C++: Stroustrup & C+
+ Primer 4/e

Accelerated C++ falls in the "programming by example guide"

Ivan Novick

On Jan 28, 8:55 pm, "arnuld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Personnally I found Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo extremely
> > useful. My advice would be to get hold of a copy and work through it
> > from the beginning, even if you feel you already understand the
> > concepts being taught, doing that improved my C++ a lot.thanks, i thought Acelerated C++ was for programers.

> BTW, FAQS says there are only 2 books for learning C++: Stroustrup & C+
> + Primer 4/e
>
> Accelerated C++ falls in the "programming by example guide"

For an easier intro, i recommend "C++ How to Program", Deitel&Deitel.

Ivan
http://www.0x4849.net