Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Tools for developers ?

Tools for developers ?

call_me_anything

Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

On 2007-01-27 14:24, call_me_anything wrote:
> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
> working of the code.
> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>
> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
> But I haven't really found any good tool.
>
> Does anybody know of some such good tool.
> BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
> Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

Doxygen might work. CScope could also help if it works with C++.

--
Erik Wikström

On Jan 27, 9:24 pm, "call_me_anything" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
> working of the code.
> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>
> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
> But I haven't really found any good tool.
>
> Does anybody know of some such good tool.
> BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
> Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

Try redhat's Source-navigator.

Axter

On Jan 27, 8:24 am, "call_me_anything" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
> working of the code.
> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>
> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
> But I haven't really found any good tool.
>
> Does anybody know of some such good tool.
> BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
> Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

I highly recommend Doxygen.
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/index.html

The following link was build using Doxygen.
http://axter.com/smartptr/

Doxygen uses the source code to build the above web pages. Although
the above source code has extra comments used to build the web page,
you can still use Doxygen on source code that doesn't have any
comments at all, and it'll produce documentation you can use to
reference logic in your source code.
Doxygen works with C, C++, and Java.

Noah Roberts

call_me_anything wrote:
> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
> working of the code.
> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>
> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
> But I haven't really found any good tool.

Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

Dave Rahardja

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>call_me_anything wrote:
>> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
>> working of the code.
>> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>>
>> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
>> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
>> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
>> But I haven't really found any good tool.

>Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

Name-calling gets you no respect.

-dr

Lionel B

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:

> call_me_anything wrote:
>> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
>> working of the code.
>> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>>
>> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
>> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
>> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
>> But I haven't really found any good tool.

> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

Get a grip, man! That particular holy war is just soooo 80's.

--
Lionel B

red floyd

Noah Roberts wrote:
> call_me_anything wrote:
>> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
>> working of the code.
>> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>>
>> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
>> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
>> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
>> But I haven't really found any good tool.

> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

He said he wanted a "development environment", not an "operating system"

Chris

call_me_anything wrote:

> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
> working of the code.
> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
>
> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
> But I haven't really found any good tool.
>
> Does anybody know of some such good tool.
> BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
> Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

I use KDevelop exclusively for my C/C++ coding. I've even used it with
Tcl/Tk. It doesn't have code completion for Tcl/Tk though.

--
Chris

Noah Roberts

red floyd wrote:
> Noah Roberts wrote:
>> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

> He said he wanted a "development environment", not an "operating system"

Well, you need an operating system to run a development environment, so
why not make your development environment your operating system? It's
the Unix way man.