Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > java or C++ ??

java or C++ ??

patrick

Ive got an idea that Im going to develop into an application.
this will be a GUI type application which will be given away freely to users
to install on their PCs. The application interacts with other users on the
internet via SSL.

The problem with java is still the 16MB ish download time. I only know java
myself but intend to get somebody else to develop it in C++ rather than have
a big download.

Should I use C++ or java ?

patrick

Alan Johnson

patrick wrote:
> Ive got an idea that Im going to develop into an application.
> this will be a GUI type application which will be given away freely to users
> to install on their PCs. The application interacts with other users on the
> internet via SSL.
>

> The problem with java is still the 16MB ish download time. I only know java
> myself but intend to get somebody else to develop it in C++ rather than have
> a big download.
>
> Should I use C++ or java ?
>
> patrick

This is answered in this group's FAQ. See:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5

--
Alan Johnson

patrick

That faq doesnt even mention download time.
It is only a silly handwaving answer.

Download time for java is a huge business consideration
(as well as a technical consideration)

16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.
To balance that java would need a lot of advantages over C++.

patrick

"Alan Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> patrick wrote:
>> Ive got an idea that Im going to develop into an application.
>> this will be a GUI type application which will be given away freely to
>> users to install on their PCs. The application interacts with other users
>> on the internet via SSL.
>>

>> The problem with java is still the 16MB ish download time. I only know
>> java myself but intend to get somebody else to develop it in C++ rather
>> than have a big download.
>>
>> Should I use C++ or java ?
>>
>> patrick

> This is answered in this group's FAQ. See:
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...e.html#faq-6.5
>
> --
> Alan Johnson

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

On 2007-01-27 14:35, patrick wrote:
> That faq doesnt even mention download time.
> It is only a silly handwaving answer.
>
> Download time for java is a huge business consideration
> (as well as a technical consideration)
>
> 16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.
> To balance that java would need a lot of advantages over C++.

So why are you asking us? If you're not gonna write the application
yourself then I can't see a problem. Any language should do if you just
find a good developer.

--
Erik Wikström

John Carson

"patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:azIuh.17685$(E-Mail Removed)
> That faq doesnt even mention download time.
> It is only a silly handwaving answer.

It is a silly question. You will never get a worthwhile answer here. It
depends too much on details specific to you and your application that no-one
here will be in a position to evaluate. It also is a question on which
opinions will differ widely. It is the rough equivalent of asking an
international audience: Should I be a Christian, a Muslim or an Atheist?

> Download time for java is a huge business consideration
> (as well as a technical consideration)
>
> 16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.

Actually, it wouldn't. It only takes about an hour and half to download that
amount on dial-up. In any case, lots of computers come with Java
preinstalled and it is legal to bundle the Java runtime with an application
on a CD, so users may have already installed an application that came with
Java.

--
John Carson

SpiralCorp

On Jan 27, 10:25 am, "John Carson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:azIuh.17685$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> > That faq doesnt even mention download time.
> > It is only a silly handwaving answer.It is a silly question. You will never get a worthwhile answer here. It

> depends too much on details specific to you and your application that no-one
> here will be in a position to evaluate. It also is a question on which
> opinions will differ widely. It is the rough equivalent of asking an
> international audience: Should I be a Christian, a Muslim or an Atheist?
>
> > Download time for java is a huge business consideration
> > (as well as a technical consideration)

> > 16MB would exclude all non broadband connected users from my download.Actually, it wouldn't. It only takes about an hour and half to download that

> amount on dial-up. In any case, lots of computers come with Java
> preinstalled and it is legal to bundle the Java runtime with an application
> on a CD, so users may have already installed an application that came with
> Java.
>
> --
> John Carson

Sure, in theory it wouldn't. But a large chunk of the dial-up user
base just wont wait for the download to be over. Thats not something
you should dismiss so easily.

Anyway, it seems you don't really have much of a choice. You only know
Java so just go ahead and at least write prototype in that language.
Hire another developer when the project takes off.

---
SpiralCorp