Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Best C++ Multithreading Book?

Best C++ Multithreading Book?

Ray

Hello,

Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
good

Thank you,
Ray

Dave Rahardja

On 26 Jan 2007 19:19:08 -0800, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
>recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
>everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
>example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
>good
>
>Thank you,
>Ray

I think this is because the C++ standard does not address multithreading in
any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
"volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.

Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
for example).

-dr

Ray

On Jan 27, 3:25 pm, Dave Rahardja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
I think this is because the C++ standard does not address
multithreading in
> any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
> "volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
> instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.
>
> Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
> there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
> for example).

Thanks Dave. So do you have any books to recommend?

> -dr

Dave Rahardja

On 26 Jan 2007 23:42:10 -0800, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 27, 3:25 pm, Dave Rahardja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I think this is because the C++ standard does not address
>multithreading in
>> any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
>> "volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
>> instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.
>>
>> Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
>> there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
>> for example).

>Thanks Dave. So do you have any books to recommend?

Nope!

peter koch

Ray skrev:
> Hello,
>
> Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
> recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
> everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
> example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
> good
>
> Thank you,
> Ray

As noted in another post, there might well be no C++ multithreading
book available. My best advice would be to get a book about
multithreading in general - or perhaps about Posix multithreading.
When you know the basics of multithreading, it should not be difficult
to use those ideas using your library of choice.
I will recommend accu.org as a source of book reviews.

/Peter

Ray

On Jan 27, 7:57 pm, "peter koch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you

> As noted in another post, there might well be no C++ multithreading
> book available. My best advice would be to get a book about
> multithreading in general - or perhaps about Posix multithreading.
> When you know the basics of multithreading, it should not be difficult
> to use those ideas using your library of choice.
> I will recommend accu.org as a source of book reviews.

Many thanks, Peter!

Ray

AnonMail2005@gmail.com

On Jan 26, 10:19 pm, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
> recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
> everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
> example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
> good
>
> Thank you,
> Ray

Search this newsgroup - I remember a previous posting about this.

But the book Programming with POSIX Threads, by David R. Butenhof
is very good. It's in C and covers pthreads.

But leaving aside the pthread specifics, it covers concepts very well
and motivates them with good examples and, best of all, real working
code.

Ray

On Jan 28, 12:14 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> But the book Programming with POSIX Threads, by David R. Butenhof
> is very good. It's in C and covers pthreads.
>
> But leaving aside the pthread specifics, it covers concepts very well
> and motivates them with good examples and, best of all, real working
> code.

Excellent! Many thanks! I'll look for the book.

Cheers
Ray