Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > comp.compilers.unmoderated ???

comp.compilers.unmoderated ???

Peter Olcott

This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet newsgroup.
There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is moderated. Usenet
requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against it, and the proponents
must have a 2/3 majority.

Bo Persson

Peter Olcott wrote:
> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new
> Usenet newsgroup. There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup,
> yet this one is moderated. Usenet requires 100 more votes for a new
> newsgroup than against it, and the proponents must have a 2/3
> majority.

Why? What are the benefits?

Bo Persson

Peter Olcott

"Bo Persson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new
>> Usenet newsgroup. There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup,
>> yet this one is moderated. Usenet requires 100 more votes for a new
>> newsgroup than against it, and the proponents must have a 2/3
>> majority.

> Why? What are the benefits?
>

> Bo Persson

It would be the same benefits of the [comp.lang.c++] compared to
[comp.lang.c++.moderated] The former group has about triple the volume of the
latter group because there is no moderation in the former group so every message
is immediately posted. The latter group has benefits too. The industry giants
tend to go to the moderated groups so that they never have to deal with
rudeness.

Ron Natalie

Peter Olcott wrote:
> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet newsgroup.
> There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is moderated. Usenet
> requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against it, and the proponents
> must have a 2/3 majority.

Before you waste your time barking up the wrong tree, why don't
you spend 5 minutes actually researching the procedure for making
a group and WHERE IT IS APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS SUCH.

Peter Olcott

"Ron Natalie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45b4ec4a$0$28073$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet
>> newsgroup. There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is
>> moderated. Usenet requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against
>> it, and the proponents must have a 2/3 majority.

> Before you waste your time barking up the wrong tree, why don't
> you spend 5 minutes actually researching the procedure for making
> a group and WHERE IT IS APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS SUCH.

The best place to bring up this discussion would be in the [comp.compilers]
group. The problem with this is that the moderator completely cut off all
communication for even bringing the subject up. If you know of a better place
than this group please suggest it.

Victor Bazarov

Peter Olcott wrote:
> [..]
> The best place to bring up this discussion would be in the
> [comp.compilers] group.

WHY?! 8-O

> The problem with this is that the moderator
> completely cut off all communication for even bringing the subject
> up. If you know of a better place than this group please suggest it.

How about one of newsgroups with 'newsgroup' in its name? I trust
you can find a decent one among so many.

SeeScreen.com

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>> [..]
>> The best place to bring up this discussion would be in the
>> [comp.compilers] group.

> WHY?! 8-O
>
>> The problem with this is that the moderator
>> completely cut off all communication for even bringing the subject
>> up. If you know of a better place than this group please suggest it.

> How about one of newsgroups with 'newsgroup' in its name? I trust
> you can find a decent one among so many.

I have already looked into this. It takes 100 more votes for the group than
against it. This requires reaching people that are interested in compiler
construction, it does not involve reaching people that are interested in
newsgroup creation. It is looking like I would not get the required 100 votes.

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

SeeScreen.com wrote:

> I have already looked into this. It takes 100 more votes for the group
> than against it. This requires reaching people that are interested in
> compiler construction, it does not involve reaching people that are
> interested in newsgroup creation. It is looking like I would not get the
> required 100 votes.

Are you sure that annoying people in several groups will attract more 'yes'
than 'not' votes?

--
Salu2

Aatu Koskensilta

Peter Olcott wrote:
> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet newsgroup.
> There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is moderated. Usenet
> requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against it, and the proponents
> must have a 2/3 majority.

"Usenet" requires no such thing. You'll find information about the
current Big-8 group creation process at

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...icies:creation

(Big-8 refers to the comp, rec, soc, sci, talk, humanities, news and
misc hierarchies which are all under common management.)

Follow-up set to news.groups where this discussion would be on-topic.

--
Aatu Koskensilta ((E-Mail Removed))

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"