Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > See how smart you are...

See how smart you are...

Marko

In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
know how to deal with this problem.

If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
just surprises me that very few seem to know how.

Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
unlikely to get the answer).

How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
assume that you cannot do this.

Tron2003

Homo!!

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> know how to deal with this problem.
>
> If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
>
> Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> unlikely to get the answer).
>
> How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> assume that you cannot do this.

Jesse

Reinstall os without reformating if you can't get the same hw specs.

Jesse
Manila, Phils.

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> know how to deal with this problem.
>
> If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
>
> Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> unlikely to get the answer).
>
> How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> assume that you cannot do this.

---

licknlabia

How does windows know to install ACPI enabled HAL upon installation?
Why can't you switch between a standard HAL and an ACPI enabled HAL?
How do you know which HAL is installed by windows? List the steps to get
there....
Do you have to reinstall windows if you want to change the HAL type or can
you change the HAL type without doing anything else?

You should be able to answer these simple questions... so are you a *hack* ?

I'm not as nice, I won't post the answers. muahahahahahahaha

- peace.

p.s

reinstall windows over the top otherwise known as an in-place upgrade, hw
gets reenumerated

[...]

Jesper Pedersen

Well I would do the same as Jesse.
Reinstall OS without formatiing the HD, and hit F5 during installation to
install the new HAL

Best Regards

Jesper

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> know how to deal with this problem.
>
> If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
>
> Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> unlikely to get the answer).
>
> How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> assume that you cannot do this.

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

"Tron2003" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Homo!!

I'm sorry, but Homogenized Milk is the incorrect answer.

Thank you for playing, though.

Don Pardo, what parting gifts to we have for Mr. Tron2003?

--
Fris "A paper MCSE certificate!" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Consultant

you could also install it as a second copy (dual boot) to a different folder
c:\winntnew or whatever which you can boot to the new install then get at
the data

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> know how to deal with this problem.
>
> If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
>
> Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> unlikely to get the answer).
>
> How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> assume that you cannot do this.

Gary - US

Sorry puffer. Homo = Tron2003 is not the correct answer.

--

Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
** Kindly Do The Needful **

"Tron2003" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Homo!!
>

> "Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> > how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> > guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> > technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> > know how to deal with this problem.
> >
> > If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> > here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> > with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> > just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
> >
> > Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> > where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> > destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> > needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> > get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> > I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> > need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> > unlikely to get the answer).
> >
> > How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> > lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> > hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> > assume that you cannot do this.

licknlabia

yes, that does occur, however, not all of the time.

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:036a01c35151$b5085990$(E-Mail Removed)...
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've taken a
perfectly good hard drive with Windows 2000 Pro from one
computer to another with completely different hardware and
it boots just fine (and finds the new hardware)....no BSOD
for me.

William

Gary - US

Yes. I did that a couple weeks ago without a hitch. I prefer not to but it
worked fine.