Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > See how smart you are...

See how smart you are...

licknlabia

I don't disagree.

"Gary - US" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
It occurs most of the time.

--

Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
** Kindly Do The Needful **

"licknlabia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, that does occur, however, not all of the time.
>
> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:036a01c35151$b5085990$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know about the rest of you, but I've taken a
> perfectly good hard drive with Windows 2000 Pro from one
> computer to another with completely different hardware and
> it boots just fine (and finds the new hardware)....no BSOD
> for me.
>
> William

Jesse

ok thanks. i have to try that on my lab.

Jesse
Manila, Phils.

"jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03b401c35154$84aa6c90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> just repair the install, works every time

---

Gary - US

The PI!! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!

--
Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

"Kindly do the needful"

"Jesse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok thanks. i have to try that on my lab.
>
> Jesse
> Manila, Phils.
>
> "jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:03b401c35154$84aa6c90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > just repair the install, works every time

Marko

It was said fairly early in the piece: Boot from a setup
disk and go through the motions of running an
installation. After accepting the agreement during text
mode setup, you will be told that there was a windows
installation found and you get to upgrade (which can be a
downgrade sometimes, but it still works), continue with a
fresh installation or quit. Key point is that this occurs
AFTER you would have already had another screen that was
asking similar questions (in addition to repair option),
except it would not have advised that there was another
installation found. You choose to run setup at this time.

Windows setup will re enumerate all your new hardware and
install all the correct drivers. It is during discussions
with the Hardware Abstraction Layer that you get the BSOD
and windows stops loading.

Sorry: Being paid by the hour and taking longer to do a
job (add time for data recovery and additional software
answer. I challenge you to go to the person paying to
have the job done and tell them you have two options and
you intend to take the most expensive one that will likely
yield the poorer overall result. That there is a chance
you won't be able to recover all the customers data and
application settings because you choose not to take the
easier route. Consider the extra work if this is a single
server for a network domain when all youhave to do is run
the setup as described, run service pack and hotfixes and
re install Internet Explorer (since the setup version is
older).

XP version of this is a little trickier in that you will
not be able to legitimately use the old XP activation
key. Anyhow: you need a new OEM copy of the OS to be
purchased with the new hardware you are buying, right?

You will need to run Adobe Reader, Winzip, office product,
etc. at least once before using since it is just like
running Sysprep; all the other applications will need
their license agreements accepted again.

Thanks for playing.

Frank

Morning,

1. Check the BIOS to make sure the drive is set for it.
2. This sounds like a video card problem, and should boot into safe mode to
see if this resolves the problem.
3. Do a repair install. after which it fines all the needed hardware.

Frank

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you could also install it as a second copy (dual boot) to a different

folder
> c:\winntnew or whatever which you can boot to the new install then get at
> the data
>
> "Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> > how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> > guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> > technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> > know how to deal with this problem.
> >
> > If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> > here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> > with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> > just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
> >
> > Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> > where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> > destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> > needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> > get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> > I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> > need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> > unlikely to get the answer).
> >
> > How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> > lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> > hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> > assume that you cannot do this.

Consultant

who mentioned ripping off a customer?

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0adf01c351bc$5c192880$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

Are you really that dense???

Gary - US

Bye

--

Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
** Kindly Do The Needful **

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:091401c351a1$770756a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It was said fairly early in the piece: Boot from a setup
> disk and go through the motions of running an
> installation. After accepting the agreement during text
> mode setup, you will be told that there was a windows
> installation found and you get to upgrade (which can be a
> downgrade sometimes, but it still works), continue with a
> fresh installation or quit. Key point is that this occurs
> AFTER you would have already had another screen that was
> asking similar questions (in addition to repair option),
> except it would not have advised that there was another
> installation found. You choose to run setup at this time.
>
> Windows setup will re enumerate all your new hardware and
> install all the correct drivers. It is during discussions
> with the Hardware Abstraction Layer that you get the BSOD
> and windows stops loading.
>
> Sorry: Being paid by the hour and taking longer to do a
> job (add time for data recovery and additional software
> answer. I challenge you to go to the person paying to
> have the job done and tell them you have two options and
> you intend to take the most expensive one that will likely
> yield the poorer overall result. That there is a chance
> you won't be able to recover all the customers data and
> application settings because you choose not to take the
> easier route. Consider the extra work if this is a single
> server for a network domain when all youhave to do is run
> the setup as described, run service pack and hotfixes and
> re install Internet Explorer (since the setup version is
> older).
>
> XP version of this is a little trickier in that you will
> not be able to legitimately use the old XP activation
> key. Anyhow: you need a new OEM copy of the OS to be
> purchased with the new hardware you are buying, right?
>
> You will need to run Adobe Reader, Winzip, office product,
> etc. at least once before using since it is just like
> running Sysprep; all the other applications will need
> their license agreements accepted again.
>

> Thanks for playing.

Cheeseburger

We are all basking in your superior radiance!

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:061f01c350cb$7e7e85b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
> how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
> guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
> technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
> know how to deal with this problem.
>
> If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
> here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
> with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
> just surprises me that very few seem to know how.
>
> Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
> where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
> destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
> needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
> get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
> I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
> need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
> unlikely to get the answer).
>
> How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
> lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
> hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
> assume that you cannot do this.

Diana K Brown

First I would try to boot from W2K or W2K3 CD or boot disks and see if a
"repair" could possibbly trick the OS into letting you update the new HAL
driver.

Otherwise, just reinstall the OS in the same folder as before and the DATA
should be in same location (as long as not in a Windows OS folder. Or
upgrade OS.

news:uI%(E-Mail Removed)...