Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Question about installer

Question about installer

mistral

Not sure is this correct place for my question (i am not a programmer):
I have some sofware packed into installer, file version: 2.11.15.0, in
file properties shown "SFX CAB archive", name "stub32i.exe". I can
extract files from this archive with WinZip without launching
application.

I have an big application that consist from various setup files
extracted from similar installer archive. For more convenience, I want
pack it into installer like mentioned. How to make the installer from
separate program files? Have the extracted setup (as folder with
separate program files) any advantages against standalone installer
pack?
Generally, I need this for more handy distribution application on CD,
but I dont want that installer do any other tasks, other than
extracting files and launching 'setup.exe' file - i.e. I want that
installer do not check registry, do not write to registry, do not
modify anything, do not show any prompts. The task is only extract
files and run 'Setup.exe' file. What software I need?

=?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=

On 2007-01-09 20:11, mistral wrote:
> Not sure is this correct place for my question (i am not a programmer):

It very much is not. Please consult the following page before posting
another question here (it will save both you and us some time):
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

> I have some sofware packed into installer, file version: 2.11.15.0, in
> file properties shown "SFX CAB archive", name "stub32i.exe". I can
> extract files from this archive with WinZip without launching
> application.
>
> I have an big application that consist from various setup files
> extracted from similar installer archive. For more convenience, I want
> pack it into installer like mentioned. How to make the installer from
> separate program files? Have the extracted setup (as folder with
> separate program files) any advantages against standalone installer
> pack?
> Generally, I need this for more handy distribution application on CD,
> but I dont want that installer do any other tasks, other than
> extracting files and launching 'setup.exe' file - i.e. I want that
> installer do not check registry, do not write to registry, do not
> modify anything, do not show any prompts. The task is only extract
> files and run 'Setup.exe' file. What software I need?

Perhaps you can do that with Winzip, don't know if it can launch
setup.exe when it's done extracting but you should be able to create a
SFX archive with it.

mistral

"""Erik Wikstr÷m wrote:
"""
> On 2007-01-09 20:11, mistral wrote:
> > Not sure is this correct place for my question (i am not a programmer):

> It very much is not. Please consult the following page before posting
> another question here (it will save both you and us some time):
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

> > I have some sofware packed into installer, file version: 2.11.15.0, in
> > file properties shown "SFX CAB archive", name "stub32i.exe". I can
> > extract files from this archive with WinZip without launching
> > application.

> > I have an big application that consist from various setup files
> > extracted from similar installer archive. For more convenience, I want
> > pack it into installer like mentioned. How to make the installer from
> > separate program files? Have the extracted setup (as folder with
> > separate program files) any advantages against standalone installer
> > pack?
> > Generally, I need this for more handy distribution application on CD,
> > but I dont want that installer do any other tasks, other than
> > extracting files and launching 'setup.exe' file - i.e. I want that
> > installer do not check registry, do not write to registry, do not
> > modify anything, do not show any prompts. The task is only extract
> > files and run 'Setup.exe' file. What software I need?

> Perhaps you can do that with Winzip, don't know if it can launch
> setup.exe when it's done extracting but you should be able to create a
> SFX archive with it.

------------

I am not sute about a "Netiquette when posting to.." you reffer me. My
question is simple. So if you know answer - good, if dont know - no
problems. No any connection with "Netiquette when posting to.."

M.

Lionel B

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:35:36 -0800, mistral wrote:

> """Erik Wikstr├Âm wrote:
> """
>> On 2007-01-09 20:11, mistral wrote:
>> > Not sure is this correct place for my question (i am not a programmer):

>> It very much is not. Please consult the following page before posting
>> another question here (it will save both you and us some time):
>> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

[snip]

> I am not sute about a "Netiquette when posting to.." you reffer me.

More specifically:

Your question was off-topic here - ask it in another newsgroup.

> Myquestion is simple. So if you know answer - good, if dont know - no
> problems.

Yes, problems. Off-topic queries clog up this (high-volume) newsgroup with
irrelevant cruft which I, for one, do not want to have to wade through. And
of course you are much more likely to get your questions answered in an
appropriate forum.

> No any connection with "Netiquette when posting to.."

<plonk>

--
Lionel B