Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > My god, help on the standard reading

My god, help on the standard reading

Bo Yang

I have read many times and have tried to
find for it many times in c++ starndard,
but I didn't find what is that mean.

I think there is must somebody understand
it.

pointer to cvl void.

what does cvl mean here?

Thanks in advance!

kwikius

Bo Yang wrote:
> I have read many times and have tried to
> find for it many times in c++ starndard,
> but I didn't find what is that mean.
>
> I think there is must somebody understand
> it.
>
> pointer to cvl void.
>
> what does cvl mean here?
>
> Thanks in advance!

something to do with some combination of const / volatile, but the
details I don't know.

regards
Andy Little

Steven T. Hatton

kwikius wrote:

> Bo Yang wrote:
>> I have read many times and have tried to
>> find for it many times in c++ starndard,
>> but I didn't find what is that mean.
>>
>> I think there is must somebody understand
>> it.
>>
>> pointer to cvl void.
>>
>> what does cvl mean here?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

> something to do with some combination of const / volatile, but the
> details I don't know.

I believe it may be explained somewhere in the text. Not having the exact
context makes it difficult to provide a specific interpretation. I can
say, however, that cv1 is probably a symbolic placeholder meaning something
like this:

struct CV {
CV(bool const_, bool volatile_):_const(const_), _volatile(volatile_){}
bool _const;
bool _volatile;
};
//these are just examples of possible values
CV cv1(true, false);
CV cv2(true, true);

Very few people realize that that Standard was not actually written in
English. There was a small island in the North Sea (now completely
inundated due to global warming and rising sea levels) between Denmark and
England. It was called Standardia, and the language the people spoke was
Standardese. This is the language of the Standard. Unfortunately, the
last person who truly understood Standardese died shortly before the
publication of the C++ Standard. Attempts have been made to translate the
Standard into English, but none have been fully successful.
--
NOUN:1. Money or property bequeathed to another by will. 2. Something handed
down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of

Pete Becker

Bo Yang wrote:

> pointer to cvl void.
>
> what does cvl mean here?

Types can usually be modified with "const" or "volatile" or both. These
are referred to in the standard as "cv-qualifiers," so you see things
like "possibly cv-qualified type", meaning a type with or without const
and volatile.

In the more formal descriptions of type, like the one above, "cv" is
used to refer to those possible cv-qualifiers. When there's more than
one set of possible cv-qualifiers in a discussion, they get numbers,
like "cv1" here. So "pointer to cv1 void" means "pointer to
might-be-const might-be-volatile void".

--

-- Pete

Bo Yang

Steven T. Hatton :
> kwikius wrote:
>
>> Bo Yang wrote:
>>> I have read many times and have tried to
>>> find for it many times in c++ starndard,
>>> but I didn't find what is that mean.
>>>
>>> I think there is must somebody understand
>>> it.
>>>
>>> pointer to cvl void.
>>>
>>> what does cvl mean here?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

>> something to do with some combination of const / volatile, but the
>> details I don't know.

> I believe it may be explained somewhere in the text. Not having the exact
> context makes it difficult to provide a specific interpretation. I can
> say, however, that cv1 is probably a symbolic placeholder meaning something
> like this:
>
> struct CV {
> CV(bool const_, bool volatile_):_const(const_), _volatile(volatile_){}
> bool _const;
> bool _volatile;
> };
> //these are just examples of possible values
> CV cv1(true, false);
> CV cv2(true, true);
>
> Very few people realize that that Standard was not actually written in
> English. There was a small island in the North Sea (now completely
> inundated due to global warming and rising sea levels) between Denmark and
> England. It was called Standardia, and the language the people spoke was
> Standardese. This is the language of the Standard. Unfortunately, the
> last person who truly understood Standardese died shortly before the
> publication of the C++ Standard. Attempts have been made to translate the
> Standard into English, but none have been fully successful.

Oh, god!

kwikius

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> Very few people realize that that Standard was not actually written in
> English. There was a small island in the North Sea (now completely
> inundated due to global warming and rising sea levels) between Denmark and
> England. It was called Standardia, and the language the people spoke was
> Standardese. This is the language of the Standard. Unfortunately, the
> last person who truly understood Standardese died shortly before the
> publication of the C++ Standard.

I have heard a rumour, just a rumour mind that an even more mysterious
and epic version of the ancient text has been found and is even now
being transcribed in great secrecy somewhere in the dark reaches of
academia.

regards
Andy Little