Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Recommend a free 'Status Monitor' or 'Dashboard' to report overnight tasks status?

Recommend a free 'Status Monitor' or 'Dashboard' to report overnight tasks status?

Shug

Hi,

This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
sure there must be something out there that does this already.

Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
scan and a Defender scan.

Each of these tasks has an individual return status.

I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.

Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
would be even better.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Shug

Noah Roberts

Shug wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
> and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
>
> I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
> like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
> a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

Not made for exactly your purpose but should do it: CruiseControl

red floyd

Shug wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
> and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.

Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

Shug

Noah Roberts wrote:
> Shug wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
> > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
> >
> > I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
> > like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
> > a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

> Not made for exactly your purpose but should do it: CruiseControl

Thanks for you kind response Noah - I'll look into that ASAP!

Like I said, could develop this myself, but if someone's already done
it, then why reinvent the wheel?

Cheers again

Shug

Shug

red floyd wrote:
> Shug wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
> > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

> A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.
>
> Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.

If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I _did_
bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name. 'kay?
'kay.

Since the type of app I'm looking for is a simple beginner's app, I
reckoned that a great group like ...C++ or ...java would have folk
who'd be aware of these kind of apps.

Which they did - see Noah's response.

red floyd

Shug wrote:
> red floyd wrote:
>> Shug wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
>>> and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

>> A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.
>>
>> Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

> Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
>
> If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
> newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I _did_
> bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name. 'kay?
> 'kay.

I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place when
I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

Jim Langston

"Shug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
> and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
>
> I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
> like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
> a number of regular tasks my PC performs.
>
> I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
> sure there must be something out there that does this already.
>
> Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
> scan and a Defender scan.
>
> Each of these tasks has an individual return status.
>
> I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
> report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
> Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.
>
> Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
> would be even better.
>
> Any suggestions very much appreciated.
>
> Shug

Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

Dag Sunde

red floyd wrote:
> Shug wrote:
>> red floyd wrote:

>>> A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.
>>>
>>> Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its
>>> name?

>> Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
>>
>> If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
>> newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I
>> _did_ bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name.
>> 'kay? 'kay.

> I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
> went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
> when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.
Hell, they even gave me an apple and pointed me in the right direction.

--
Dag.

Shug

Dag Sunde wrote:
> red floyd wrote:
> > Shug wrote:

> >> Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
> >>
> >> If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
> >> newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I
> >> _did_ bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name.
> >> 'kay? 'kay.

> > I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
> > went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
> > when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

> I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
> went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
> the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.
> Hell, they even gave me an apple and pointed me in the right direction.
>

> --
> Dag.

Nice one Dag. Very well put.

Shug

Jim Langston wrote:
> "Shug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
> > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
> >
> > I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
> > like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
> > a number of regular tasks my PC performs.
> >
> > I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
> > sure there must be something out there that does this already.
> >
> > Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
> > scan and a Defender scan.
> >
> > Each of these tasks has an individual return status.
> >
> > I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
> > report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
> > Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.
> >
> > Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
> > would be even better.
> >
> > Any suggestions very much appreciated.
> >
> > Shug

> Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
> Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
> and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

See my previous response to Dag.

I didn't go into a car forum asking for computer-related help, so
you're analogy doesn't hold.

Under a work-related account I've been a subscriber to both these
groups for years - and during that time, regularly seen folk asking for
help to a slightly unrelated topic, and due to the generally kind
nature of most other subscribers, getting pointed in the right
direction. I myself have answered off-topic questions on many
occasions, generally pointing folk in the correct direction.

Your 'garage' didn't say that they didn't know what's wrong. They
weren't even in. (No response at all.)

In any case, my query was answered almost immediately by Noah - no
bitchin', not complainin', just a short'n'sweet answer - presumably he
saw the title, knew the answer right away and gave it, then moved on to
whichever topic he was interested in.