Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > term for "group function with arguments"?

term for "group function with arguments"?

bob_jenkins@burtleburtle.net

I'm looking for a term that means to group a function with its
arguments into a thingy that can be pulled apart and executed later.
There's lots of ways to do this, I'm just looking for the word that
means to doing this. I thought maybe it was "kerning" or
"memoization", but it looks like those aren't it.

Alf P. Steinbach

> I'm looking for a term that means to group a function with its
> arguments into a thingy that can be pulled apart and executed later.
> There's lots of ways to do this, I'm just looking for the word that
> means to doing this. I thought maybe it was "kerning" or
> "memoization", but it looks like those aren't it.

Check out "command pattern", "delegate (.NET)" and "function object" in
Wikipedia. Also check out bind1st et.al. in the standard library. It's
not clear exactly what you mean.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

mlimber

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm looking for a term that means to group a function with its
> arguments into a thingy that can be pulled apart and executed later.
> There's lots of ways to do this, I'm just looking for the word that
> means to doing this. I thought maybe it was "kerning" or
> "memoization", but it looks like those aren't it.

Try "binder" and "functor."

Cheers! --M