Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Picking up unwanted networks

Picking up unwanted networks

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless card
is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the connection
and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3 other
networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Chris

mike

change channel

mike

"Chris Oster" <Chris http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless

card
> is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the

connection
> and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3

other
> networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
> picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

---

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

Tried that...same problem. My laptop (running XP Pro) doesn't have this
problem at all, even when the two are in the same room. What causes XP to
just drop the connection completely? It's a pain in the rear end, especially
because I can't download everything if I can only keep a network connection
for five minutes at a time.

"mike" wrote:

> change channel
>
> mike
>
> "Chris Oster" <Chris (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless

> card
> > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the

> connection
> > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3

> other
> > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
> > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

> ---

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
"change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
Thanks

"Chris Oster" wrote:

> I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless card
> is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the connection
> and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3 other
> networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
> picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

mike

well what happened when you did change channel?
the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.

mike

"Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
> "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
> Thanks
>
> "Chris Oster" wrote:
>
> > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless

card
> > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the

connection
> > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3

other
> > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card

is
> > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

---

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year). My
son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm room
called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because coincidentally
he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be a
little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day as I
encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).

Thanks for your response. ...Sandy

"mike" wrote:

> well what happened when you did change channel?
> the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
> how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
>
> mike
>
> "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
> > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Chris Oster" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless

> card
> > > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the

> connection
> > > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3

> other
> > > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card

> is
> > > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chris

> ---

mike

not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
mike

"Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
> problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year).

My
> son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm

room
> called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because

coincidentally
> he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be

> little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
> residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day

as I
> encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
>
> Thanks for your response. ...Sandy
>
> "mike" wrote:
>
> > well what happened when you did change channel?
> > the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
> > how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
> >
> > mike
> >
> > "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
> > > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me

nuts.
> > > Thanks

wireless
> > card

> > connection

3
> > other

card
> > is

> > ---

---

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

Nope...don't have SP2. I did manage to figure it out, though...I had the
Windows firewall turned on for this connection. Turn off the firewall, and
the connection is totally solid. Haven't had any problems since then.

"mike" wrote:

> not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
> causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
> mike
>
> "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
> > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year).

> My
> > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm

> room
> > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because

> coincidentally
> > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be

> > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
> > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day

> as I
> > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
> >
> > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy
> >
> > "mike" wrote:
> >
> > > well what happened when you did change channel?
> > > the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
> > > how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
> > >
> > > mike
> > >
> > > "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> nuts.

> wireless
> > > card
> > > connection

> 3
> > > other

> card
> > > is

> > > ---
> > >

> ---

mike

that's nice, well enter the details of the ip in the trusted zones or WHY
see if that works.

mike

"Chris Oster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nope...don't have SP2. I did manage to figure it out, though...I had the
> Windows firewall turned on for this connection. Turn off the firewall,

and
> the connection is totally solid. Haven't had any problems since then.
>
> "mike" wrote:
>
> > not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
> > causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
> > mike
> >
> > "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing

is,
> > > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1

year).
> > My
> > > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his

dorm
> > room
> > > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because

> > coincidentally
> > > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation

might be
> > > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in

his
> > > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same

day
> > as I
> > > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy

suggesting

> > nuts.

> > wireless

the

are
> > 3

wireless
> > card

> > ---

---

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

Dumb question - how do I turn off Windows firewall?