Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems with IBM T40 + PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B

Problems with IBM T40 + PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B

Al Blake

We have 250+ IBM T40 with the IBM PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B 802.11b card
installed. Laptops run WXPSP2.
Driver is 1.2.3.14 which is the latest we can find.

We are using Cisco 1200 Aps with PEAP-TLS authentication.

When the machines startup they connect perfectly initially....but the ping
times are all over the place to a wired server:

eg: 113,19,72,28,255,23 ms
when running a Toshiba satellite 1800 with its 802.11.b card over the same
setup the pings are uniformly 2ms.

then...after a *random* time (usually about 5 minutes) we lose the wireless
connection on the IBM altogether....and authenticationm starts
again...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

We have a couple of T40s with the 802.11a/b/g card installed and they seem
to be rosk steady on the WLAN, despite having a later driver. So it seems as
though there is an issue with the
2100 3B + XPSP2 + PEAP-TLS ????
Anyone else expereincing similar problems?

Anyone know of a newer driver or other fixes we can try? We *really* dont
wan to have to buy 250+ new cards to get these T40s to connect with
stbility.
Al Blake, Australia

Al Blake

For anyone else with the same issue - we updated the IOS on the 1200 APs to
the laterst version and the problem when away.
Al

"Al Blake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have 250+ IBM T40 with the IBM PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B 802.11b card
> installed. Laptops run WXPSP2.
> Driver is 1.2.3.14 which is the latest we can find.
>
> We are using Cisco 1200 Aps with PEAP-TLS authentication.
>
> When the machines startup they connect perfectly initially....but the ping
> times are all over the place to a wired server:
>
> eg: 113,19,72,28,255,23 ms
> when running a Toshiba satellite 1800 with its 802.11.b card over the same
> setup the pings are uniformly 2ms.
>
> then...after a *random* time (usually about 5 minutes) we lose the

wireless
> connection on the IBM altogether....and authenticationm starts
> again...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.
>
> We have a couple of T40s with the 802.11a/b/g card installed and they seem
> to be rosk steady on the WLAN, despite having a later driver. So it seems

as
> though there is an issue with the
> 2100 3B + XPSP2 + PEAP-TLS ????
> Anyone else expereincing similar problems?
>
> Anyone know of a newer driver or other fixes we can try? We *really* dont
> wan to have to buy 250+ new cards to get these T40s to connect with
> stbility.
> Al Blake, Australia

tkauppin tkauppin is offline
Junior Member

I've noticed similar problems with WLAN in my T40, running Windows XP.
That's happening with 3 different wlans so the problem should be in the laptop. Driver version is 1.2.4.41 (Intel, 7/13/2006). This is very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blake
For anyone else with the same issue - we updated the IOS on the 1200 APs to
the laterst version and the problem when away.
Al

"Al Blake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have 250+ IBM T40 with the IBM PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B 802.11b card
> installed. Laptops run WXPSP2.
> Driver is 1.2.3.14 which is the latest we can find.
>
> We are using Cisco 1200 Aps with PEAP-TLS authentication.
>
> When the machines startup they connect perfectly initially....but the ping
> times are all over the place to a wired server:
>
> eg: 113,19,72,28,255,23 ms
> when running a Toshiba satellite 1800 with its 802.11.b card over the same
> setup the pings are uniformly 2ms.
>
> then...after a *random* time (usually about 5 minutes) we lose the

wireless
> connection on the IBM altogether....and authenticationm starts
> again...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.
>
> We have a couple of T40s with the 802.11a/b/g card installed and they seem
> to be rosk steady on the WLAN, despite having a later driver. So it seems

as
> though there is an issue with the
> 2100 3B + XPSP2 + PEAP-TLS ????
> Anyone else expereincing similar problems?
>
> Anyone know of a newer driver or other fixes we can try? We *really* dont
> wan to have to buy 250+ new cards to get these T40s to connect with
> stbility.
> Al Blake, Australia

marhoel marhoel is offline
Junior Member

Hi tkauppin,

I have the issue like your in our office now, can i have the exact ap ios you used to solved the issue? Hope to hear any solutions from you.
thanks

Last edited by marhoel; 11-04-2008 at 03:16 AM..