Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > c++ or C on unix

c++ or C on unix

yang__lee@ausi.com

Hi,

I have been programming c, c++ on windows.

What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
syntaxes, functions on Unix.
what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
use on unix.

Please put some light on this

Thanks

Lee

Binary

On Dec 1, 12:24 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been programming c, c++ on windows.
>
> What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
> syntaxes, functions on Unix.
> what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
> between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
> use on unix.

If you are planning to use Linux, g++ is your common choice.

> Please put some light on this
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee

Noah Roberts

> Hi,
>
> I have been programming c, c++ on windows.
>
> What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
> syntaxes, functions on Unix.
> what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
> between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
> use on unix.

The gnu compiler collection is the usual choice on most unix systems.
There are some others but that is the major one used and comes
installed most of the time.

The standard library is of course the same though the bugs will of
course be different. Syntax and all that will be the same to. You'll
be working with Makefiles and/or autotools instead of VS projects.
Some people don't like this. I like the visual studio debugger a bit
better but for the most part I prefer working in XEmacs on linux.

GUI wise it will be completely different unless you used one of those
multi-platform libraries. Talking to the system is also very
different. Unix usually contains libraries that adhere to POSIX
standards....some win32 libs come close.

I prefer man and info to MSDN and you won't get a more powerful tool
than the unix shell.

But really, it's all the same. The function names might be
different...some of the steps will differ, but the basic theory behind
it all is all very much the same.

eriwik@student.chalmers.se

On Dec 1, 5:24 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been programming c, c++ on windows.
>
> What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
> syntaxes, functions on Unix.
> what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
> between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
> use on unix.

Been doing some programming on both, and as others have said, it's not
really that different. The problems comes when you need to do something
platform-specific like system-calls or GUI. When I did my Linux-work I
used Qt as the graphical framework, which was nice. The good thing
about Qt is that it provides much more than GUI functions, so if you
use Qt you can almost totally ignore the APIs of the system and work
agains Qt, unless you're doing very system specific things.

--
Erik Wikström

Rui Maciel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
> syntaxes, functions on Unix.

Both C and C++ are programming languages which are defined by standards.
Therefore the only way that different syntaxes may appear in Unix regarding
your prior experience with C and C++ is if the compiler you use/will use
doesn't follow the standards or implements non-standard extensions.

Regarding the functions bit, as far as I see it all depends of the libraries
which were/will be present in your system. The standard libraries should be
the same in every platform but other libraries, like the windows API, will
not be available. So in the end it will be a question of what APIs are
available.

> what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
> between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
> use on unix.

That depends of what you consider what is "programming C++ on windows". For
example, if you wrote GUI applications using wxWidgets then I believe there
wouldn't be any difference. On the other hand, if you used some API which
isn't available beyond the windows platform then you will be forced to use
some other API, which will end up being something completely different.

Regarding compilers, I believe that GCC (which comes with g++, the C++
compiler) is available in every linux/*bsd/whatnot distribution.

Hope this helps
Rui Maciel
--
Running Kubuntu 6.10 with KDE 3.5.5 and proud of it.
jabber:(E-Mail Removed)

BobR

Noah Roberts wrote in message ..

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been programming c, c++ on windows.
>>
>> What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
>> syntaxes, functions on Unix.
>> what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
>> between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
>> use on unix.

>The gnu compiler collection is the usual choice on most unix systems.
>There are some others but that is the major one used and comes
>installed most of the time.

Wow, they ported GNU to Unix? That's real irony since the 'NU' in GNU stands
for 'Not Unix'!

--
Bob R
POVrookie

jjds101@yahoo.com

BobR wrote:
> Noah Roberts wrote in message ..
> >
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have been programming c, c++ on windows.
> >>
> >> What is the difference in programming on Unix.. are there different
> >> syntaxes, functions on Unix.
> >> what are mandatory different steps on unix. Whst is the difference
> >> between programming c++ on windows and unix. Which compiler one has to
> >> use on unix.

> >The gnu compiler collection is the usual choice on most unix systems.
> >There are some others but that is the major one used and comes
> >installed most of the time.

> Wow, they ported GNU to Unix? That's real irony since the 'NU' in GNU stands
> for 'Not Unix'!

Heh. Yup, I use g++ on Solaris. Well, technically the compiler is not
Unix, it just runs on Unix...

Noah Roberts

BobR wrote:

> Wow, they ported GNU to Unix? That's real irony since the 'NU' in GNU stands
> for 'Not Unix'!

Yeah, I can see how that name might confuse you. Thing is that it's a
historical anamoly. GNU, the orginization, named themselves after GNU,
the invisible operating system. They made tools for this operating
system before ever having a kernel. The kernel never really
materialized...there is Hurd, years and years later, in an alpha stage
or something but I doubt highly that it will ever be viable.

So really, GNU was *developed* on Unix as there was no kernel to
develop for. Unix was the only thing they could use until Linux came
along....which really ****es off RMS because now nobody's waiting
around for his kernel since we already have one.

So GNU, the orginization, is named after GNU, the operating system that
doesn't exist. They keep claiming that Linux is GNU...but not
GNU...it's all too confusing. It's easier to ignore the whole "not
unix" thing and think of GNU as a Unix tool development organization
that likes to start all their product names with 'g'.