Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Using VMWare as a test lab?

Using VMWare as a test lab?

john63401@yahoo.com

I want to setup a test lab in my home..... for learning
purposes naturally.

I currently only have one PC at home.... a Dell 4100...
512 meg ram.... 45 gig drive..... Win XP Pro..... 21"
monitor.

I was told that instead of buying more PCs.... that one
could use VMWare and run "virtual" PCs.

Is my current 4100 capable of running VMWare?

If yes.... which is better and why? To run VMWare on
ONE pc.... vs having say three "boxes"?

Advice on what to buy or do?

KLXrider

VMware is cheaper and takes up less space then an entire test lab.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:49:12 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I want to setup a test lab in my home..... for learning
>purposes naturally.
>
>I currently only have one PC at home.... a Dell 4100...
>512 meg ram.... 45 gig drive..... Win XP Pro..... 21"
>monitor.
>
>I was told that instead of buying more PCs.... that one
>could use VMWare and run "virtual" PCs.
>
>Is my current 4100 capable of running VMWare?
>
>If yes.... which is better and why? To run VMWare on
>ONE pc.... vs having say three "boxes"?
>
>Advice on what to buy or do?

billyw

if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.

i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS set
ups.
i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10 machines.

it's a good tool

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

john63401@yahoo.com

>if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.
>
>i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS set
>ups.
>i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10 machines.
>
>it's a good tool

OK

Im new to all this.

having said that would you say the above is as good as
a real test lab?

Or....how does the below above compare to using VMWare?

see linlk

john63401@yahoo.com

>if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.
>
>i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS set
>ups.
>i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10 machines.
>
>it's a good tool

What version of VMWare should I buy?

Kevin Bachelder

Hey,

You can download a 30 day eval copy from their website and try it out and
make sure you are comfortable with it. Haven't seen it sold at a discount
anywhere so buying it direct is probably the best way to go. I've used it
for years and it has been a great help in my cert studies.

http://www.vmware.com/download/workstation.html

Good luck,

Kevin

------------------

Kevin Bachelder

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) - Windows 2000
Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA)
CompTIA A+ Certified Computer Repair Technician (A+)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.
> >
> >i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS

set
> >ups.
> >i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10

machines.

> >it's a good tool

> What version of VMWare should I buy?

john63401@yahoo.com

>Hey,
>
>You can download a 30 day eval copy from their website and try it out and
>make sure you are comfortable with it. Haven't seen it sold at a discount
>anywhere so buying it direct is probably the best way to go. I've used it
>for years and it has been a great help in my cert studies.
>
>http://www.vmware.com/download/workstation.html
>

>Good luck,
>
>Kevin

Thanks Kevin.... I will do that.

But Im guessing what Im unclear on is how can VMWare be
as useful as two or more real PCs?

I mean...... how can you put multiple NICs in one
machine running VMWare.....and do some of the things
you can with two real PCs?

I know that's a dumb question.... but Im confused
obliviously! Ha

billyw

try it.. it's basically like having 2 PC's in the one box
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Hey,
> >
> >You can download a 30 day eval copy from their website and try it out and
> >make sure you are comfortable with it. Haven't seen it sold at a

discount
> >anywhere so buying it direct is probably the best way to go. I've used

it
> >for years and it has been a great help in my cert studies.
> >
> >http://www.vmware.com/download/workstation.html
> >

> >Good luck,
> >
> >Kevin

> Thanks Kevin.... I will do that.
>
> But Im guessing what Im unclear on is how can VMWare be
> as useful as two or more real PCs?
>
> I mean...... how can you put multiple NICs in one
> machine running VMWare.....and do some of the things
> you can with two real PCs?
>
> I know that's a dumb question.... but Im confused
> obliviously! Ha

Kian Wah, Lai

they emulate NIC, so if you go to your network connection, you'll see extra
LAN connection
its really a cool program