Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Graphics using C

Graphics using C

manojgeorge@gmail.com

Hi,

I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).

Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
active.

Waiting for your expert comments on this.

Many thanks in advance,
Manoj

Phlip

manojgeorge wrote:

> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.

Was everyone at news:comp.lang.c having, like, a staring contest or
something??

They will tell you graphics are off-topic. Post to a newsgroup that covers
whatever compiler you use, for the best answers. Use Google Groups to find
such a newsgroup - I think you are familiar with it!

> Waiting for your expert comments on this.

I specialize in graphics but I ain't gonna digress about them here and now!

--
Phlip

Moonlit

Hi,

Graphics are not contained in any of the standard libraries. But, yes you
can do graphics in C/C++. The easiest way I think is to use Visual C++ and
GDI. Lookup WM_PAINT message on msdn,

Another approach is to use some kind of library (google for it since there
are many)

Note that whatever you are going to use it will be a study on its own.

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://moonlit.xs4all.nl

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
> and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
> language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).
>
> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.
>
> Waiting for your expert comments on this.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Manoj

kwikius

> Hi,
>
> I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
> and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
> language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).
>
> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.

C++ cant handle graphics. Its just a text langauage

regards
Andy Little

Joey Sabey

kwikius wrote:
> C++ cant handle graphics. Its just a text langauage

C++ is a general programming language.

Most games are programmed in C++, for example. And a great deal of
other programs.

Ever heard of the OpenGL library?

Personally I like the SDL library for simple graphics, and 2D stuff.

~Joey~

kwikius

Joey Sabey wrote:
> kwikius wrote:
> > C++ cant handle graphics. Its just a text langauage

> C++ is a general programming language.
>
> Most games are programmed in C++, for example. And a great deal of
> other programs.
>
> Ever heard of the OpenGL library?

I cant find it in my copy of the C++ standard.

Situation is that C++ cant deal with graphics. Best advice is to try
Java.

Andy Little

Joey Sabey

kwikius wrote:
> I cant find it in my copy of the C++ standard.
>
> Situation is that C++ cant deal with graphics. Best advice is to try
> Java.

The standard libraries don't deal with graphics, no, but drop in
something like driectX, openGL SDL or Allegro, and you have graphics
handling in C++. I don't like Java much, myself, and it certainly isn't
used for most graphical programs, or games.

~Joey~

kwikius

Joey Sabey wrote:
> kwikius wrote:
> > I cant find it in my copy of the C++ standard.
> >
> > Situation is that C++ cant deal with graphics. Best advice is to try
> > Java.

> The standard libraries don't deal with graphics, no, but drop in
> something like driectX, openGL SDL or Allegro, and you have graphics
> handling in C++.

All O.T here I'm afraid bud. C++ doesnt do graphics

regards
Andy Little

Joey Sabey

kwikius wrote:
> All O.T here I'm afraid bud. C++ doesnt do graphics

Heh, I'm just pointing out that you don't have to go in search of a new
language to do graphics, that there are extensions to C++ for it.
It can't hurt to point people in the direction of a solution to their
problem. =P

~Joey~

Alf P. Steinbach

* (E-Mail Removed):

> I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
> and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
> language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).

You're posting to a C++ group; C is mostly off-topic here.

> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.

[comp.lang.c]

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.