Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > std::bad_alloc in low memory conditions

Reply
Thread Tools

std::bad_alloc in low memory conditions

 
 
sndive@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
Do linux kernels 2.4 and 2.6 have some stash of memory set aside to
handle paging in std::bad_alloc
or ... exception handling code when new or new[] throws that exception?
How is that handled? Does gcc generate some report to the elf loader
that the largest exception
handling section is x kb long or what?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Victor Bazarov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Do linux kernels 2.4 and 2.6 have some stash of memory set aside to
> handle paging in std::bad_alloc
> or ... exception handling code when new or new[] throws that
> exception? How is that handled? Does gcc generate some report to the
> elf loader that the largest exception
> handling section is x kb long or what?


This is OT in comp.lang.c++ since your question is platform-specific.
Just thought you might want to know...


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sndive@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Do linux kernels 2.4 and 2.6 have some stash of memory set aside to
> > handle paging in std::bad_alloc
> > or ... exception handling code when new or new[] throws that
> > exception? How is that handled? Does gcc generate some report to the
> > elf loader that the largest exception
> > handling section is x kb long or what?

>
> This is OT in comp.lang.c++ since your question is platform-specific.
> Just thought you might want to know...


I think this is a very comp.lang.c++ answer.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frederick Gotham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
:

>> This is OT in comp.lang.c++ since your question is platform-specific.
>> Just thought you might want to know...

>
> I think this is a very comp.lang.c++ answer.



You obviously haven't been to comp.lang.c...

--

Frederick Gotham
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roland Pibinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
On 17 Nov 2006 10:01:03 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> ... exception handling code when new or new[] throws that exception?
>How is that handled?


OOM is usually handled with a new handler. See also:
http://www.gotw.ca/publications/mill16.htm

Best wishes,
Roland Pibinger
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pcos low carb diet. Low carb diet program. Cholesterol low carb diet.Low carb diet foods. zyraco C++ 0 11-10-2009 01:44 PM
Low carb diabetes diet. Low fat high carb diet. The low carb diet.Low carb diet pregnancy. zyraco C++ 0 11-10-2009 01:44 PM
Low carb calorie diet. No low carb diet. Free low carb diet. Low carbdiet meal plan. zyraco C++ 0 11-10-2009 01:44 PM
Low Fat, Low Carb, Low Calorie and every other crazy fad diet youhave tried. ruxandra C++ 0 04-14-2009 07:00 PM
optimal 3/4MP digi cam for low-light conditions? luke Digital Photography 4 12-05-2003 06:19 AM



Advertisments