Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Exercise

Exercise

drago.osrecki@vk.t-com.hr

Hi programmers! I am pretty new to programming in c++. Can someone tell
where i can find
some exercise on net! I have good books but I dont have practise what
is the most important!
And can you tell what is the best way to learn a good programming?

Please tell me!
Thank you!

mlimber

(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr wrote:
> I am pretty new to programming in c++. Can someone tell
> where i can find
> some exercise on net!

Google is your friend.

> I have good books but I dont have practise what
> is the most important!
> And can you tell what is the best way to learn a good programming?

The FAQ can:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...learn-cpp.html

Cheers! --M

drago.osrecki@vk.t-com.hr

Thanks, but I read it before! I need something I can exercise on!! PDFs
or something!

On Nov 16, 10:01 pm, "mlimber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)-com.hr wrote:
> > I am pretty new to programming in c++. Can someone tell
> > where i can find
> > some exercise on net!Google is your friend.

> > I have good books but I dont have practise what
> > is the most important!
> > And can you tell what is the best way to learn a good programming?The FAQ can:

> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...learn-cpp.html
>
> Cheers! --M

Default User

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr wrote:

> Thanks, but I read it before! I need something I can exercise on!!
> PDFs or something!

newsgroup, or the group FAQ list:
<http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html>

The best way to hone your skills is to find a project, design and code
it. There are a million potentials projects, make it something that
interests you.

Brian

Jim Langston

<(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi programmers! I am pretty new to programming in c++. Can someone tell
> where i can find
> some exercise on net! I have good books but I dont have practise what
> is the most important!
> And can you tell what is the best way to learn a good programming?
>
> Please tell me!
> Thank you!

Well, when I first started coding, I reinvented the wheel quite a bit. For
example, MS-DOS had a find program that would find a file on the disk and I
wondered how they did it. So I did some research on directory calls, and
wrote a program that did what find did. Then I ran mine compared to the one
that came with MS-DOS and they ran in exactly the same speed.

A lot of what I did when I was new to programming was just try to figure out
how to do things. How does random file access work? So I wrote a little
program that allowed me to enter tape names and data and store them to a
file and retrieve them. Never used the program after I finished it, but I
learned a lot. Just about anything you can think of can be an exercise.
Some is OS specific (how much disk space do you have left? How much memory
is currently free?) some is generic (file IO is for the most part generic).

Think of a program you can't write, and write it.

VJ

Jim Langston wrote:
> Some is OS specific (how much disk space do you have left? How much memory
> is currently free?) some is generic (file IO is for the most part generic).

Are there ways to check free memory space and free disk space?

Marcus Kwok

VJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jim Langston wrote:
>> Some is OS specific (how much disk space do you have left? How much memory
>> is currently free?) some is generic (file IO is for the most part generic).

> Are there ways to check free memory space and free disk space?

Probably, but not in Standard C++. As Jim Langston said, it will be OS
specific.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

Jim Langston

"VJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ejk5dq$3li$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim Langston wrote:
>> Some is OS specific (how much disk space do you have left? How much
>> memory is currently free?) some is generic (file IO is for the most part
>> generic).

> Are there ways to check free memory space and free disk space?

Yes, but OS specific. Anything you write for one OS won't work on another.