Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > JFace for C++?

JFace for C++?

hobbes_7_8@yahoo.com

Hi there!

Java developers have long been dependant on Swing to design user
interfaces, a toolkit that, at most, was only able to draw widgets
similar to the native ones. Until SWT and JFace appeared and changed
all this, allowing applications with native look and feel to be built
in Java, as Eclipse and Azureus demonstrate.

C++ developers have long been dependant on Qt to design user
interfaces, a toolkit that, at most, was only able to draw widgets
similar to the native ones.

Now I ask, is there some technology that allows me to write the second
sentence of the second paragraph the same way I wrote the second
sentence of the first paragraph?

Thanks in advance!

André

Victor Bazarov

> Java developers have long been dependant on Swing to design user
> interfaces, a toolkit that, at most, was only able to draw widgets
> similar to the native ones. Until SWT and JFace appeared and changed
> all this, allowing applications with native look and feel to be built
> in Java, as Eclipse and Azureus demonstrate.
>
> C++ developers have long been dependant on Qt to design user
> interfaces, a toolkit that, at most, was only able to draw widgets
> similar to the native ones.
>
> Now I ask, is there some technology that allows me to write the second
> sentence of the second paragraph the same way I wrote the second
> sentence of the first paragraph?

There can be no second sentence since the first is nonsen[ten]se.
Qt relies heavily on the native widgets. Nothing 'similar' in it.
Please get your facts straight first.

There are many cross-platform C++-oriented UI libraries. None of
them is a panacea or an ultimate achievement. All of them have to
(and do) rely on [a subset of] native widgets.

hobbes_7_8@yahoo.com

Humm... On Windows XP and on Mac OS X the theme engines are indeed used
to draw the widgets (hence we have native look but not native feel),
but on all other platforms, everything is drawn to look like native.
This still doesn't provide full native look and feel...

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Java developers have long been dependant on Swing to design user
> > interfaces, a toolkit that, at most, was only able to draw widgets
> > similar to the native ones. Until SWT and JFace appeared and changed
> > all this, allowing applications with native look and feel to be built
> > in Java, as Eclipse and Azureus demonstrate.
> >
> > C++ developers have long been dependant on Qt to design user
> > interfaces, a toolkit that, at most, was only able to draw widgets
> > similar to the native ones.
> >
> > Now I ask, is there some technology that allows me to write the second
> > sentence of the second paragraph the same way I wrote the second
> > sentence of the first paragraph?

> There can be no second sentence since the first is nonsen[ten]se.
> Qt relies heavily on the native widgets. Nothing 'similar' in it.
> Please get your facts straight first.
>
> There are many cross-platform C++-oriented UI libraries. None of
> them is a panacea or an ultimate achievement. All of them have to
> (and do) rely on [a subset of] native widgets.

jolz

wxWidgets

Many times developing feels more like C, but at least it creates really
native application.

hobbes_7_8@yahoo.com

Very good looking... Didn't knew it was available... Thanks!

JFace getting started Nicklas Java 2 08-28-2007 10:11 AM
Eclipse RCP w/ Swing or SWT/JFace Steve Java 0 10-19-2006 12:37 PM
SWT&JFace yareck Java 0 08-11-2006 12:51 PM
Moving rows in SWT/Jface Table derharri@web.de Java 2 01-20-2006 10:01 AM
Retroguard obfuscation of eclipse JFace plugin? Adrian Pang Java 0 12-11-2003 11:03 PM

Advertisments