Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > New C/C++/OpenGL Software Tutorial

New C/C++/OpenGL Software Tutorial

jbwest

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wolfgang Draxinger <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> BobR wrote:
>>
>>> Because C++ has class! :-}

>> And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

> And?
>
> The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
> and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
> Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
> San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>
> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>

Especially one who can't spell woth a damn.
jbw

BobR

Keith Thompson wrote in message ...
>Wolfgang Draxinger <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> BobR wrote:
>>
>>> Because C++ has class! :-}

>> And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

>And?
>
>The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
>and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
>Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

Yeah, lighten up Wolfy (sorry Mr. Draxinger). It was a pun, like "the dame
made it to high society because she had class." (and C++ has keyword
'class').
It was "pun"ish meant. (get it, punishment? <G>)

As far as the language, I heard that C++ was 'invented' as a faster way to
write C. As far as I know, there is nothing you could do in one that couldn't
be done in the other with a little effort.
So, put that in your glCallList() and render it! <G> <<---note the grin.

[ Jeesh, I didn't mean to upset anyone! My gawd, I even put a smiley on the
end! ]
--
Bob R
POVrookie

Richard Bos

"BobR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jacob navia wrote in message <454f7e86$0$5091$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >Bushido Hacks wrote:
> >> My new tutorial is posted at
> >> http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php
> >>

> >This is for C++ only.
> >
> >Why not a C interface?

> Because C++ has class! :-}

Yeah, and it needs to take some more. ;->

Richard

SirMike

I ignore fact that is the group about c++ language.

I found very funny thing on you page.

"# Dia (for Linux) - An open source drawing program that draws UML
diagrams, similar to Rational Rose. Requires GTK+ Runtime Library"

ROTFL - how can you compare Dia and Rational Rose?

--
SirMike - http://www.sirmike.org

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg. - Bjarne Stroustrup

Wolfgang Draxinger

Keith Thompson wrote:

> Wolfgang Draxinger <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> BobR wrote:
>>
>>> Because C++ has class! :-}

>> And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

> And?
>
> The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to
> comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c (as well as
> comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general). Let's not allow a
> spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

This was not meant to an offense, I just don't see, why the
existence of classes alone should let someone favour C++ over C.
C++ offers a lot of syntactic sugar, which C doesn't. Free
speach also applies to programming, so use the language you
favour. But don't use silly arguments to discriminate one
language over another.

That I don't use C++ in new projects anymore comes from the fact,
that it is deliberately difficult to develop helper tools, that
dig into the code and do the boring stuff for you. Oftenly it
ends in ugly hacks (gcc-xml) or in constrainging the language
features you may use in code that is to be
analyzed/extended/whatever by helper tools (see Qt and its MOC
for an example). Another thing, that C++ is lacking (IMHO of
course) is a basic support for complex data typed. Even for the
smallest array one has to develop his own container; well
there's STL, but by writing std::vector<your_type> you're
practically expanding a macro adding _a lot_ of code that wants
to be compiled, too.

Anyway C++ is a great language and it has done a lot for the
computer sciences, but development never stops. Java was the
next step and C#, too. There are also other languages with high
potential, like D.

Never stop learning !!!

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
E-Mail address works, Jabber: (E-Mail Removed), ICQ: 134682867