Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > help on C++/programming interviews...

help on C++/programming interviews...

Michael Angelo Ravera

Noah Roberts wrote:
> Michael Angelo Ravera wrote:
>

> > I've sent more than one interviewee away crying after exposing that
> > they made up their experience and knowledge. I've been known to ask the
> > interviewee about how he stands on the acetylsolosin QID controversy in
> > C++ or whether they have had any experience with Feci Tauri methods.

> I would be one to answer these questions in detail. You better be an
> expert too or I'll convince you they are real.
>
> > When they start to enumerate their vast experience with (or passing
> > exposure to) each of them, I know that I'm going to have fun in the
> > (usualy very short) interview. If at all possible, I will arrange to
> > get called away and leave the interviewee alone to stew for a while
> > while I go joke with the buddy of theirs who recommended them.

> But, the joke would be on you because I would know what you where up to
> and have decided I probably don't want to work for, or with, such
> people.
>
> > When I come back, I usually try to discover their experience with NAFC
> > objects and thank them for coming in.

> NAFC as in having to ask trick questions to discover someone's true
> experience?
>
> I actually have extensive experience with NAFC objects. NAFC managers
> too.
>
> Hopefully you don't really interview people this way. If you do maybe
> your employer needs to see what else is in the management market
> because that is NOT how to do an interview. I mean, it really is a
> rather abrasive and confrontational way to talk to someone and you're
> competing for my skills as much (or more possibly) as I am trying to
> sell them.

I only interview people this way when they start off as liars and self
indulgent ones at that. People who come in saying "I heard that you are
looking for a snot nosed kid who can program in c++. Well, here I am!"
have the job unless I get overruled by someone else.