Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > a good C++ editor

a good C++ editor

filox

can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
i need to find a good editor...

--
You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

Shelyag Yuriy

filox wrote:
> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
> want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
> highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
> code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
> i need to find a good editor...

Code::Blocks
http:://www.codebloks.org

Phlip

filox wrote:

> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
> want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
> highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
> code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and
> now i need to find a good editor...

Get gcc via CygWin for Win32.

Write a Makefile for your project, in the same folder as your .sln file.

Write a trigger (in a soft language like Ruby) that runs the Makefile to
compile your code and run your tests, after each .cpp file changes.

Start the trigger, and start Visual Studio. Tile the windows so you can see
the trigger's console.

Now edit, and even compile with your .sln file, and each time you change the
code, your trigger will build it for gcc.

> You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback

Oh, dude, "7-Course Beef" in Westminster sure takes me back!

--
Phlip

Andy

filox schrieb:
> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
> want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
> highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
> code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
> i need to find a good editor...

Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
You can get both at www.eclipse.org

Regards,
Andy

Alf P. Steinbach

* Andy:
> filox schrieb:
>> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i
>> don't want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has
>> syntax highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to
>> complete your code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual
>> studio to gcc and now i need to find a good editor...
>>

> Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
> You can get both at www.eclipse.org

Last I tried (when am I going to actually uninstall all the things that
have accumulated?) Eclipse was slow and difficult and generally bad,
just like expected of a Java thingo, although probably a heaven for Java
programmers.

For C++ programming many people have recommended Code::Blocks, <url:
http://www.codeblocks.org/>, touted as "the" through and through C++
successor to DevC++ (which ironically, IIRC, was written in Borland Pascal).

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but it sure looks good.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Ernesto_Basc=F3n?=

filox wrote:
> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
> want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
> highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
> code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
> i need to find a good editor...

I'd recommend you Netbeans.

Netbeans is a Java IDE; its last release includes a C/C++ pack that
allows you edit, debug and work with makefiles using this interesting
IDE.

www.netbeans.org

Regards,

Ernesto

BobR

Alf P. Steinbach wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
>* Andy:
>> filox schrieb:
>>> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i
>>> don't want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has
>>> syntax highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to
>>> complete your code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual
>>> studio to gcc and now i need to find a good editor...

That's "GCC" ( the GNU Compiler Collection, which includes gcc and g++
compilers). :-}

>> Try Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
>> You can get both at www.eclipse.org

>Last I tried (when am I going to actually uninstall all the things that
>have accumulated?) Eclipse was slow and difficult and generally bad,
>just like expected of a Java thingo, although probably a heaven for Java
>programmers.
>
>For C++ programming many people have recommended Code::Blocks, <url:
>http://www.codeblocks.org/>, touted as "the" through and through C++
>successor to DevC++ (which ironically, IIRC, was written in Borland Pascal).
>
>Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but it sure looks good.

Maybe someone who has both could come back and tell us if Code::Blocks plays
nice with DevC++. [ Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/ ]
Ref: Code::Blocks for windows:
Does it 'capture' the file-type-associations(allow to keep current settings),
easy to point it to the current MinGW(GCC) under DevC++ dir, mess with
windows registry, etc.?
[ meantime, yeah, I'll go look over their site. ]

I'm pretty happy with DevC++, so it will take an 'eye-grabber' to get me to
change (C++ source code *is* a big plus. GNU port is another+.). I don't like
to burn bridges (or DevC++ <G>), some 'installers' are over aggressive.
I use MinGW Studio on Debian, but it's a little 'thin' ( and Kdevelop is way
'thick'! "GAWD, all I wanted is a little 3 file project linked to wxWidgets!
What the heck are all those script things for!?!". Kpollution? <G>).
--
Bob R
POVrookie

Roland Pibinger

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:54:26 +0100, "filox"
<filox_realmmakniovo@...com> wrote:
>can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
>want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
>highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
>code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
>i need to find a good editor...

PSPad, an editor not an IDE: http://www.pspad.com/en/

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

Marcus Kwok

filox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
> want to use MS visual studio)? you know, something that has syntax
> highlighting, and preferably something like intellisense (to complete your
> code)? i've decided to switch from compiling in Visual studio to gcc and now
> i need to find a good editor...

Personally, I love vim (http://www.vim.org/). Once you learn your way
around it, you'll realize how powerful of an editor it is and how fast
you can do things, but the learning curve may be a little steep. It may
take some time to get used to using a modal editor.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

Roland Pibinger

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:01:51 +0200, Shelyag Yuriy wrote:
>filox wrote:
>> can anyone recommend any good editors for C++ (having in mind that i don't
>> want to use MS visual studio)?

>Code::Blocks
>http:://www.codebloks.org

better: http://www.codeblocks.org/
This project looks very promising. Unfortunately it seems to have
slowed down.

Best wishes,
Roland Pibinger