Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Outsourcing.... how depressing

Re: Outsourcing.... how depressing

Mark

It really depends on where you are working and what you are doing. The
simple stuff can always be outsourced to another country.

I live in South Africa and have all my life (which is not that long at 21)
and work for a company which is involved in call centre outsourcing from
Europe to South Africa and the Phillipines, in fact.

You have to realise, and you probably do, that as the US has such a strong
currency (even with all that has happened) it makes simple business
operations expensive when you could be outsourcing them to another country
while paying half or less the wages paid on home territory.

So either the highly paid (by world standards) tech guy gets laid off, or
the entire company can go bust and everyone will lose their jobs. Thats an
extreme example, but it all boils down to the bottom line! The bottom line
is affected by customer satisfaction, which is why a great deal of said
companies fail, and which makes outsourcing a potential risk to any compmany
considering it.

Globalisation. Everyone in IT is familiar with the term, and if you didnt
know, this is how it works and will continue to work.

But, as a company handling outsourcing it can be very challenging to
survive. Think of the technical helpdesks in India that have gone out of
business because none of the American or other english speaking clients
understood what was being said? Its happened. And it continues to happen.

It might seem unfair, but thats life. To survive, we all need to make sure
that we have knowledge and skills that cant be outsourced. The industry has
not decided that oursourcing IS the way to go. Its new and popular and in
demand (like certain certifications I have were at one stage). If enough
people decide to get into outsourcing, you'll see a significant drop in
quality delivered (like with certifications!) as everyone tries to find the
short cuts to making cash. As such, certain companies will learn that work
gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will decide
that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but nothing is
ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal agreements are
concerned!

Cheers,
Mark

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This is very disturbing... South Africa and the Philippines
> are competing as well.
>
> India wins lion's share of outsourcing
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137254,00.html
>

> Outsourcing may doom future IT careers
> http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030709/152/e3xvl.html
> Granted, this is Australia they're talking about, but
> still... it sounds familiar.

billyw

thats a fairly balanced view of things, but the fact "on the ground" is that
someone ceases to be able to earn a living, because things have moved to
more cost efficient countries.
that person doesn't care if he is helping some other economy, only the fact
that now his family could be in for a hard time

news:3f0c5ff7$0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It really depends on where you are working and what you are doing. The
> simple stuff can always be outsourced to another country.
>
> I live in South Africa and have all my life (which is not that long at 21)
> and work for a company which is involved in call centre outsourcing from
> Europe to South Africa and the Phillipines, in fact.
>
> You have to realise, and you probably do, that as the US has such a strong
> currency (even with all that has happened) it makes simple business
> operations expensive when you could be outsourcing them to another country
> while paying half or less the wages paid on home territory.
>
> So either the highly paid (by world standards) tech guy gets laid off, or
> the entire company can go bust and everyone will lose their jobs. Thats an
> extreme example, but it all boils down to the bottom line! The bottom line
> is affected by customer satisfaction, which is why a great deal of said
> companies fail, and which makes outsourcing a potential risk to any

compmany
> considering it.
>
> Globalisation. Everyone in IT is familiar with the term, and if you didnt
> know, this is how it works and will continue to work.
>
> But, as a company handling outsourcing it can be very challenging to
> survive. Think of the technical helpdesks in India that have gone out of
> business because none of the American or other english speaking clients
> understood what was being said? Its happened. And it continues to happen.
>
> It might seem unfair, but thats life. To survive, we all need to make sure
> that we have knowledge and skills that cant be outsourced. The industry

has
> not decided that oursourcing IS the way to go. Its new and popular and in
> demand (like certain certifications I have were at one stage). If enough
> people decide to get into outsourcing, you'll see a significant drop in
> quality delivered (like with certifications!) as everyone tries to find

the
> short cuts to making cash. As such, certain companies will learn that work
> gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will decide
> that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but nothing

is
> ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal agreements

are
> concerned!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > This is very disturbing... South Africa and the Philippines
> > are competing as well.
> >
> > India wins lion's share of outsourcing
> > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137254,00.html
> >

> > Outsourcing may doom future IT careers
> > http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030709/152/e3xvl.html
> > Granted, this is Australia they're talking about, but
> > still... it sounds familiar.

JaR

billyw wrote in message ...
>thats a fairly balanced view of things, but the fact "on the ground" is

that
>someone ceases to be able to earn a living, because things have moved to
>more cost efficient countries.
>that person doesn't care if he is helping some other economy, only the fact
>that now his family could be in for a hard time

Yup, and who the hell is going to be buying these company's products, when
about 10% [0]of their marketplace is out of work, and another 50%[0] is
trying to get by at minimum wage. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the
IT industry is not the only one suffering from 'globalization'

J.R. Jones

[0] 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot [1]

[1] including this one

Ray

Globalization, outsourcing, Oh Really!

I need meat, peas and carrots. We can produce everything that we need
here in our country. This is a bunch of crap and we need to look at it
as such. Sometimes education and modern thinking stands in the way of
good old common sense.

Maybe outsourching does have some merrit - looks like South Africa needs
the US Millitary to solve some of it's problems that they cannot solve
by themselves. Of well, Yeah, we will go there with out outsourced
(lowest bidder)foreign build **** and loose more American lives so that
we can have "Globalization"

No Thanks!

Ray

Mark wrote:
> It really depends on where you are working and what you are doing. The
> simple stuff can always be outsourced to another country.
>
> I live in South Africa and have all my life (which is not that long at 21)
> and work for a company which is involved in call centre outsourcing from
> Europe to South Africa and the Phillipines, in fact.
>
> You have to realise, and you probably do, that as the US has such a strong
> currency (even with all that has happened) it makes simple business
> operations expensive when you could be outsourcing them to another country
> while paying half or less the wages paid on home territory.
>
> So either the highly paid (by world standards) tech guy gets laid off, or
> the entire company can go bust and everyone will lose their jobs. Thats an
> extreme example, but it all boils down to the bottom line! The bottom line
> is affected by customer satisfaction, which is why a great deal of said
> companies fail, and which makes outsourcing a potential risk to any compmany
> considering it.
>
> Globalisation. Everyone in IT is familiar with the term, and if you didnt
> know, this is how it works and will continue to work.
>
> But, as a company handling outsourcing it can be very challenging to
> survive. Think of the technical helpdesks in India that have gone out of
> business because none of the American or other english speaking clients
> understood what was being said? Its happened. And it continues to happen.
>
> It might seem unfair, but thats life. To survive, we all need to make sure
> that we have knowledge and skills that cant be outsourced. The industry has
> not decided that oursourcing IS the way to go. Its new and popular and in
> demand (like certain certifications I have were at one stage). If enough
> people decide to get into outsourcing, you'll see a significant drop in
> quality delivered (like with certifications!) as everyone tries to find the
> short cuts to making cash. As such, certain companies will learn that work
> gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will decide
> that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but nothing is
> ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal agreements are
> concerned!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>This is very disturbing... South Africa and the Philippines
>>are competing as well.
>>
>>India wins lion's share of outsourcing
>>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137254,00.html
>>

>>Outsourcing may doom future IT careers
>>http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030709/152/e3xvl.html
>>Granted, this is Australia they're talking about, but
>>still... it sounds familiar.

Ray

Go get em. Gary!

Huah!

Ray

Gary - US wrote:
> [...]

>>gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will decide
>>that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but nothing

> is
>
>>ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal agreements

> are
>
>>concerned!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Mark
>>

>>"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>>
>>>This is very disturbing... South Africa and the Philippines
>>>are competing as well.
>>>
>>>India wins lion's share of outsourcing
>>>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137254,00.html
>>>

>>>Outsourcing may doom future IT careers
>>>http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030709/152/e3xvl.html
>>>Granted, this is Australia they're talking about, but

Gary - US

"cost efficient"? You mean dirt poor, third world country don't you?

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will

decide
> > that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but

nothing
> is
> > ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal agreements

> are
> > concerned!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> > "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > This is very disturbing... South Africa and the Philippines
> > > are competing as well.
> > >
> > > India wins lion's share of outsourcing
> > > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137254,00.html
> > >

> > > Outsourcing may doom future IT careers
> > > http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030709/152/e3xvl.html
> > > Granted, this is Australia they're talking about, but

billyw

i'm not as ignorant as to call others i know little about, stuff like that
i leave that to you

"Gary - US" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > > not decided that oursourcing IS the way to go. Its new and popular and

> in
> > > demand (like certain certifications I have were at one stage). If

enough
> > > people decide to get into outsourcing, you'll see a significant drop

in
> > > quality delivered (like with certifications!) as everyone tries to

find
> > the
> > > short cuts to making cash. As such, certain companies will learn that

> work
> > > gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will

> decide
> > > that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but

> nothing
> > is
> > > ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal

billyw

coherent sentences might be something you look into.
remember, stories have a beginning a middle and an end

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

work
> > gets done at home, where you can monitor the operation. Others will

decide
> > that they are satisfied with outsourced work. Trends develop, but

nothing is
> > ever concrete in business, not even where contracts and legal agreements

are
> > concerned!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> > "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >
> >>This is very disturbing... South Africa and the Philippines
> >>are competing as well.
> >>
> >>India wins lion's share of outsourcing
> >>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137254,00.html
> >>

> >>Outsourcing may doom future IT careers
> >>http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030709/152/e3xvl.html
> >>Granted, this is Australia they're talking about, but

Wilson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> billyw wrote in message ...
> >thats a fairly balanced view of things, but the fact "on the ground" is

> that
> >someone ceases to be able to earn a living, because things have moved to
> >more cost efficient countries.
> >that person doesn't care if he is helping some other economy, only the

fact
> >that now his family could be in for a hard time
> >

> Yup, and who the hell is going to be buying these company's products, when
> about 10% [0]of their marketplace is out of work, and another 50%[0] is
> trying to get by at minimum wage. Let's not lose sight of the fact that

the
> IT industry is not the only one suffering from 'globalization'

IT workers are getting hit hard but the biggest financial losses from
''offshoring' are to radiologists and accountants.

The IRS should be seeing the impact at this time with everyone getting a
salery cut.

Ten bucks an hour is becoming good money at this point.

Consultant

10 bucks? you can get 8 an hour at in & out and 50% off meals!

news1fPa.7911$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .