Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > interfearance, possibly from cordless phones? is there a fix?

interfearance, possibly from cordless phones? is there a fix?

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then out
of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but only
for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
aggrivating!

through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency?? stupid!!)
The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so any
one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these 2.4mhz
phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from my
apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem and
there has to be a fix somewhere!
Greg

Dave

try changing channels.

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then

out
> of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but

only
> for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
> aggrivating!
>
> through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
> wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??

stupid!!)
> The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so

any
> one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these

2.4mhz
> phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
> jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from

my
> apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem and
> there has to be a fix somewhere!
> Greg

TW

I have both, WLan and 2.4ghz phone. It seems to me that the phone takes the
interference and doesn't affect the network at all.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> try changing channels.
>
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then

> out
>> of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but

> only
>> for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
>> aggrivating!
>>
>> through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
>> wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??

> stupid!!)
>> The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so

> any
>> one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these

> 2.4mhz
>> phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
>> jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from

> my
>> apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem
>> and
>> there has to be a fix somewhere!
>> Greg

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

Ive tried all the channels. also all my drivers are up to date and i have SP2

"Dave" wrote:

> try changing channels.
>
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then

> out
> > of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but

> only
> > for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
> > aggrivating!
> >
> > through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
> > wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??

> stupid!!)
> > The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so

> any
> > one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these

> 2.4mhz
> > phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
> > jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from

> my
> > apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem and
> > there has to be a fix somewhere!
> > Greg

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

wow really? first time ive heard about that happening

"TW" wrote:

> I have both, WLan and 2.4ghz phone. It seems to me that the phone takes the
> interference and doesn't affect the network at all.
>

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > try changing channels.
> >
> > "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then

> > out
> >> of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but

> > only
> >> for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
> >> aggrivating!
> >>
> >> through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
> >> wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??

> > stupid!!)
> >> The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so

> > any
> >> one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these

> > 2.4mhz
> >> phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
> >> jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from

> > my
> >> apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem
> >> and
> >> there has to be a fix somewhere!
> >> Greg

Jeff Durham

Check your SSID. If you are using something like "linksys", you should
change it. It is possible that your neighbors have also installed wireless
and using the same SSID. Also, make sure you are broadcasting your SSID.
Some people think that this is a security hole, but it is not. Just make
sure though that you are using WEP or WPA which does provide security.

Jeff

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then
>out
> of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but
> only
> for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
> aggrivating!
>
> through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
> wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??
> stupid!!)
> The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so
> any
> one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these
> 2.4mhz
> phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
> jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from
> my
> apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem and
> there has to be a fix somewhere!
> Greg

=?Utf-8?B?QWxmcmVkbyBPc29yaW8=?=

I have the same problem!
Did any of the fixes suggested work?
Alfredo

"Greg" wrote:

> Ive tried all the channels. also all my drivers are up to date and i have SP2
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
> > try changing channels.
> >
> > "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then

> > out
> > > of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but

> > only
> > > for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
> > > aggrivating!
> > >
> > > through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
> > > wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??

> > stupid!!)
> > > The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so

> > any
> > > one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these

> > 2.4mhz
> > > phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
> > > jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from

> > my
> > > apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem and
> > > there has to be a fix somewhere!
> > > Greg

HubSwitch

Have you tried the following:

UN-CHECK "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this
network" in the network properties box for your connection?

This often gets over looked.... hey ho....

HubSwitch

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have a wireless (linksys) network that has worked great for months then
>out
> of the blue things started messing up. the network still connects but
> only
> for minutes at a time usually then disconnects and reconnects. its very
> aggrivating!
>
> through research, it seems that 2.4mhz cordless phones interfear with
> wireless networks (why are they made to using the same frequency??
> stupid!!)
> The biggest problem with this is that i live in an apartment complex so
> any
> one of the 50 or so people that live around me could have one of these
> 2.4mhz
> phones so i cant do anything abuot that. is there any kind of "signal
> jammer" or something that might be able to block out outside signals from
> my
> apartment or something? this just seems to be a really common problem and
> there has to be a fix somewhere!
> Greg

HubSwitch

From a post earier on today >>