Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Q. How hard are the other common MCSE exams?

Re: Q. How hard are the other common MCSE exams?

Grog in Ohio

028 and 029 are stale, old software. Don't waste your time. Instead go for
SQL 2000, 70-228 and 70-229... I'd rate them 7/10 and 8/10 respectively.
70-229 actually rivals 70-216!!

Grog

"Mark Griffiths" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:893b01c34561$a1adc4d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I passed my MCSA exam yesterday, so time to think about
> the rest of the MCSE.
> As a measure of 'hardness' (from the point-of-view of a
> systems administrator working in a Novell/Domino
> environment), these are my hardness ratings of the exams
> so far:
> 210:6/10
> 215:6/10
> 216:12/10
> 218:7/10 (advice - do 216 first!!! then 218 one month
> later and you can knock the hardness level down to 4/10)
>
> I am not sure which way to go with electives. I am just
> after a general grounding in MS technology, and not going
> for any specific track.
> So how would people rate 'hardness' of:
> 217 (core)
> 219
> 220
> 221
> 028
> 029
> Any other.....
>
> Thanks

billyw

i honestly dont see what the big deal is about 216.
it's not near as bad as people make out...
read a ccna book then sit down and go thru 216 and it is really easy (sort
of)

"Grog in Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 028 and 029 are stale, old software. Don't waste your time. Instead go

for
> SQL 2000, 70-228 and 70-229... I'd rate them 7/10 and 8/10 respectively.
> 70-229 actually rivals 70-216!!
>
> Grog
>
> "Mark Griffiths" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:893b01c34561$a1adc4d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I passed my MCSA exam yesterday, so time to think about
> > the rest of the MCSE.
> > As a measure of 'hardness' (from the point-of-view of a
> > systems administrator working in a Novell/Domino
> > environment), these are my hardness ratings of the exams
> > so far:
> > 210:6/10
> > 215:6/10
> > 216:12/10
> > 218:7/10 (advice - do 216 first!!! then 218 one month
> > later and you can knock the hardness level down to 4/10)
> >
> > I am not sure which way to go with electives. I am just
> > after a general grounding in MS technology, and not going
> > for any specific track.
> > So how would people rate 'hardness' of:
> > 217 (core)
> > 219
> > 220
> > 221
> > 028
> > 029
> > Any other.....
> >
> > Thanks

licknlabia

Why would you read a CCNA book for a MS test? Does Cisco talk about how to
use win2k srvr for RRAS, DNS, DHCP, WINS, hmmm, it doesn't. A CCNA book is
probably only going to explain the subnetting.

For 216, read the book, and do what you think is necessary, if you
understand what's going on, then it really is a piece of cake. You will
probably need to find some material on www.microsoft.com/technet to gain a
better understanding of how to calculate subnets. The MSPress book is not
good at that.

- rg

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
i honestly dont see what the big deal is about 216.
it's not near as bad as people make out...
read a ccna book then sit down and go thru 216 and it is really easy (sort
of)

"Grog in Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 028 and 029 are stale, old software. Don't waste your time. Instead go

for
> SQL 2000, 70-228 and 70-229... I'd rate them 7/10 and 8/10 respectively.
> 70-229 actually rivals 70-216!!
>
> Grog
>
> "Mark Griffiths" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:893b01c34561$a1adc4d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I passed my MCSA exam yesterday, so time to think about
> > the rest of the MCSE.
> > As a measure of 'hardness' (from the point-of-view of a
> > systems administrator working in a Novell/Domino
> > environment), these are my hardness ratings of the exams
> > so far:
> > 210:6/10
> > 215:6/10
> > 216:12/10
> > 218:7/10 (advice - do 216 first!!! then 218 one month
> > later and you can knock the hardness level down to 4/10)
> >
> > I am not sure which way to go with electives. I am just
> > after a general grounding in MS technology, and not going
> > for any specific track.
> > So how would people rate 'hardness' of:
> > 217 (core)
> > 219
> > 220
> > 221
> > 028
> > 029
> > Any other.....
> >
> > Thanks

billyw

i didn't read the ccna book forthe MS test, but found the info from reading
a ccna book previously made 216 far easier.
the basic understanding of netowrking etc coupled with what the 216 track
covers make 216 quite a straightforward exam.
As for subnetting 216 hardly touches on that.

"licknlabia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would you read a CCNA book for a MS test? Does Cisco talk about how

> use win2k srvr for RRAS, DNS, DHCP, WINS, hmmm, it doesn't. A CCNA book

is
> probably only going to explain the subnetting.
>
> For 216, read the book, and do what you think is necessary, if you
> understand what's going on, then it really is a piece of cake. You will
> probably need to find some material on www.microsoft.com/technet to gain a
> better understanding of how to calculate subnets. The MSPress book is not
> good at that.
>
> - rg
>

> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i honestly dont see what the big deal is about 216.
> it's not near as bad as people make out...
> read a ccna book then sit down and go thru 216 and it is really easy (sort
> of)
>
> "Grog in Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 028 and 029 are stale, old software. Don't waste your time. Instead go

> for
> > SQL 2000, 70-228 and 70-229... I'd rate them 7/10 and 8/10 respectively.
> > 70-229 actually rivals 70-216!!
> >
> > Grog
> >
> > "Mark Griffiths" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:893b01c34561$a1adc4d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I passed my MCSA exam yesterday, so time to think about
> > > the rest of the MCSE.
> > > As a measure of 'hardness' (from the point-of-view of a
> > > systems administrator working in a Novell/Domino
> > > environment), these are my hardness ratings of the exams
> > > so far:
> > > 210:6/10
> > > 215:6/10
> > > 216:12/10
> > > 218:7/10 (advice - do 216 first!!! then 218 one month
> > > later and you can knock the hardness level down to 4/10)
> > >
> > > I am not sure which way to go with electives. I am just
> > > after a general grounding in MS technology, and not going
> > > for any specific track.
> > > So how would people rate 'hardness' of:
> > > 217 (core)
> > > 219
> > > 220
> > > 221
> > > 028
> > > 029
> > > Any other.....
> > >
> > > Thanks

Mark Griffiths

The 216 exam, as classed by most people, is the hard one.
If you do this stuff every day, it may be easy, but not a
lot of us do.
Often, you get the job that you prove that you could do
via by getting qualified first. Or you get the experience
first then seek the qualification.
So, Mr Labia, think outside the box, there's a lot of
people out there not in the same situation as you seem to
be in.

Back to the CCNA reference - that was a silly
comment...but a relevant point. Being a CCNA will help a
lot with RIP and OSPF concepts and will give an advantage.
216 was less vendor specific than I thought...and having
broader exposure in a heterogeneous environment is a great
help in passing this bastard..sodding.... exam.

KLXrider

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 04:02:31 -0700, "Mark Griffiths"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I meant to flame the BillyW WoS - you raises some good
>points....

quit licking his labia.....