Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > How does this group benefit MCSE's and candidates.

How does this group benefit MCSE's and candidates.

billyw

personally i dont believe in dumb questions.
there is being stupid and asking the same question time and time again, but
otherwise there is no such thing as a dumb question. only the ignorance of
the replier

"Andy Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > define "dumb" question
> > define "sensible" question
> >

> Ignorance is in the eye of the beholder.
> As a *general* rule, a "dumb" question - as viewed by the person
> replying - is one that prompts them to be
> condescending/sarcastic/offensive
> A "sensible" question - as viewed by the person replying - would be
> one that they feels deserves a courteous and/or helpful answer.
> *My* views on what constitutes dumb and sensible questions are similar
> to JaR's posted elsewhere in this thread.
> Others may well have different views, and post accordingly.
>
> Andy

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> KLXrider wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >
> >>However, coming into a froup

> >froup.....I hate froup

> Aw, c'mon, not even with chipotle sauce???

Mmmmm.... Southwestern Bean Froup with Chipotle sauce.

--
Fris "Froup and Fralad" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Maestro

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original response. I don't disagree with much of
what you've said, but still no one has explained to me what makes them the
keeper of this newsgroup. As you said, those with the knowledge and
experience come here on their own time. That does not give them the
authority to ridicule anyone for any reason. It seems to me their time here
would be spent more productively helping where they can and want to instead
of trying to find ways to flame those that are not up to their level. I
don't care for paper MCSEs any more than the next person, but Microsoft
makes this possible. If you have a problem perhaps you should direct it at
the source. The industry (theoretically) will weed out those that can't
make the cut.

"Beoweolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hZoOa.227$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> If a teacher, who is "PAID", to teach flames you, then you have the
> foundation for a complaint. If you ask your friend where are your glasses
> and they are parked on the top of your head...then you will get ridiculed.
> We all love a pratfall, it may not be funny to the victim, but is to a

sense
> of relief to other who watch it. 'Cause it wasn't them. Too many
> "self-esteem" classes and "no dumb questions" pronouncements have given

some
> people a false expectation of what its like in the real world.
>
> If someone is kind enough to help or teach you something, you should be
> respectful enough to pay attention. If you are too busy playing with your
> game boy or contemplating your navel, then you missed the boat, it is now
> "your" job to catch up, on '"your" time. Why should those that paid
> attention, did their own research or studied be forced to advance at your
> pace?
>
> Most MCSE's who frequent this NG, do so on their own time. They want to
> help, they want to challenge, and freshen their skills by taking on
> questions and situations that tax their mind. They do it for free, to help
> the new guys...it's kind of selfish, 'cause someday, we may have to work
> with you, so imagine the frustration and disappointment of seeing the
> questions mainly focus on what books to read, where are the dumps, which
> classes do I need to take. All the should be common sense and readily
> available with just a little bit of effort using a browser.
> "Maestro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The purpose for some of those people you're referring to coming here is

> > learn the basics. There are people out there that have a genuine

> interest,
> > but don't know newsgroup etiquette, or don't know that questions have

been
> > asked before, or whatever the case may be. As an example someone may

ask,
> > how do I perform a certain function. They're then summarily flamed

> because
> > the question has been asked many times before, or they could have found

> the
> > answer if they did some research on their own. I'll agree that some
> > questions do deserve the response the get (although I disagree that it

> needs
> > to be given in the manner that it is), but if you were sitting in on a

> class
> > and asked a teacher a question, how would you feel if the teacher flamed

> you
> > because someone asked the same question last class, and the class before
> > that, etc? The purpose of these newsgroups is for people with similar
> > interest to gather and exchange information. Sometimes that means

> answering
> > the same question more than once. For those that don't have that kind

of
> > patience they don't have to respond. It seems that the same people that

> do
> > the flaming for dumb or repeated questions have no problem with devoting

> > considerable amount of energy to "nonsense" as the original poster

noted.

> > "|{evin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > start

> Is

> > > Yes, this is it. We just get a lot of noise from people who can't be
> > > bothered with learning the basics first.

Maestro

oh...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you didn't hear? he was nominated as protector
>

> "Maestro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why do you think that we have to subscribe to your definition of a dumb
> > question? ...and who made you the protector of the integrity of this
> > newsgroup?
> >
> > "Andy Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > "Jeffrey Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > start

nonsense.
> Is

> > > If people post dumb questions, it is likely they will receive
> > > appropriate replies.
> > > If anyone ever posts a sensible question, it is also likely that they
> > > will receive an appropriate reply.
> > >
> > > If you'd care to start the ball rolling ...
> > >
> > > Andy

Maestro

I don't get your point. Does that man that no one should new to computers
after a certain age? We both (I hope) know that is not true.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> my youngest son is 6 and is not new to computers.
>
> "Maestro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Since when does being new to computers constitute an offence? I'm sure

> you
> > didn't just wake up one morning knew this stuff (assuming that you do).
> >
> > "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:NV4Oa.6646$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Garbage In Garbage Out but you probably are so new to computers that

you
> > > have never heard that term.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Techie
> > > A+, Network+, MCP, MCNGP #21
> > >
> > > "Jeffrey Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > start

nonsense.
> Is

Maestro

ahhh... perhaps you've shed some light on this whole issue. I've always
been under the assumption that this newsgroups was a gathering place for
MCSEs to share ideas as well as for future MCSEs and/or casual users (the
uninitiated) to seek advice from the more knowledgeable. Based on your
response "dedicated to MCSE" anyone who is not an MCSE doesn't belong here.
If that is true then I take back everything I've said and stand corrected,
never to broach this subject again.

news:ei$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Maestro wrote in message ...
> >Since when does being new to computers constitute an offence? <SNIP>

> It doesn't.
>
> However, coming into a froup that is dedicated to MCSE and not having a

clue
> as to what it means, not having the basic knowlege that the MCSE is

supposed
> to represent, and not having made any effort on your own to determine what
> that knowlege shoud consist of, is. The regulars on this NG have on many
> occasions provided help with legitimate dicussions related to the subject

in
> question. Post a question related to DNS, Subnetting, Groups, Software,
> Hardware, etc. and there will be no end of helpful and insightful

> (Just do a little research first).
>
> Post a question that can be answered by the most *basic* research, like
> "when does win 2K expire?" "Will I be an MCSE if I pass 70-$$$?", ad
> infinitum, ad nauseum, and you are not qualified to be an MCSE. You may be
> able to pass the tests, but you have not the temperment or the mindset to
> work on computers, let alone design or administer a network.
>
> Contrary to the prevailing attitude in the business, MCSE should *not*

mean
> Must Consult Someone Else.
>
> 'kay, I'm done
>
> J.R. Jones MCNGP #22
> MCSA, A+ Net+

JaR

Maestro wrote in message ...
>ahhh... perhaps you've shed some light on this whole issue. I've always
>been under the assumption that this newsgroups was a gathering place for
>MCSEs to share ideas as well as for future MCSEs and/or casual users (the
>uninitiated) to seek advice from the more knowledgeable. Based on your
>response "dedicated to MCSE" anyone who is not an MCSE doesn't belong here.

If you are trying to demonstrate your inability to comprehend a simple
statement, you have succeeded.

>If that is true then I take back everything I've said and stand corrected,
>never to broach this subject again.

One can only hope.

J.R. Jones

Consultant

with schools outfitted with systems the way they are today, yes, my
statement will be true in the near future. they have computer time in
kindergarten. plus thier network engineer father has been schooling them in
the field. they will both be able to subnet by age 10.

"Maestro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't get your point. Does that man that no one should new to computers
> after a certain age? We both (I hope) know that is not true.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > my youngest son is 6 and is not new to computers.
> >
> > "Maestro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Since when does being new to computers constitute an offence? I'm

sure
> > you
> > > didn't just wake up one morning knew this stuff (assuming that you

do).

> > > "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:NV4Oa.6646$(E-Mail Removed)...

> you

time

> nonsense.
> > Is

JaR

Maestro wrote in message <#(E-Mail Removed)>...
>One of us has demonstrated that. This is the last time I'll stoop to your
>level!

*Chuckle*

J.R. Jones MCNGP #22