Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > RunTime Type Information

RunTime Type Information

LaBird

Dear all,

I would like to ask, has RTTI (RunTime Type Information) become a language
standard in C++, or is it still considered as an add-on feature that some
up-to-date versions of C++ implementations do not provide?
Thanks!

Best Regards,
LaBird (Benny).
[Email: Please remove all hyphens in the email shown above]

Jerry Coffin

In article <efd2om$nm6$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to ask, has RTTI (RunTime Type Information) become a language
> standard in C++, or is it still considered as an add-on feature that some
> up-to-date versions of C++ implementations do not provide?

RTTI is required by the standard.

--
Later,
Jerry.

peter koch

LaBird wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to ask, has RTTI (RunTime Type Information) become a language
> standard in C++, or is it still considered as an add-on feature that some
> up-to-date versions of C++ implementations do not provide?
> Thanks!

As Jerry Coffin told you, it is required by the standard. Some
compilers might not provide it when you compile out-of-the-box. In that
case you will have to set a switch.

Kind regards
Peter