Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Computer Language Popularity Trend

Computer Language Popularity Trend

xah@xahlee.org

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html

Xah
http://xahlee.org/

MonkeeSage

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.

Hi Xah (Sigma) Lee,

What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups? It is
interesting research, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing
(numbers for the sake of numbers); but what does it have to do with us?

Regards,
Jordan

Jerry Coffin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.

While this "survey" is clearly off-topic and nonsensical, the site is at
least entertaining in one respect. Anybody who can accuse others of
intolerance, then describe a city as "sordid...by the standards of
RIGHTEOUS MEN" [emphasis added], and THEN include pages full of pictures
of porn stars certainly has a personality anyway!

--
Later,
Jerry.

Chung Leong

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.
>
> http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
>
> Xah
> (E-Mail Removed)
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/

These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
in the language remains strong.

Default User

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This page gives a visual

Ah, it's been a while since I had a chance to plonk you.

Brian

MonkeeSage wrote:

> What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups?

He's a troll.

Brian

benben

> These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
> postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
> information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
> to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
> newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
> in the language remains strong.

The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
know, the eternal September effect...

Ben

Gianni Mariani

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.

DUDE - did you write this ?

> In this graph, all these languages are widely used industrial languages.
> C and lisp share a commonality in their age. Lisp is a functional
> language distinct from the others. C++ is more or less a compatible
> superset of C. Java is somewhat a betterment over C++. The syntax of C,
> C++, and Java are pretty much the same.
>
> We can see that lisp is slowly but steadily on the rise, and the
> imperative languages rose and fell with the dot com.
>
> C++ is a result of OOP fad in its infancy, and is functionally a OOP
> graft over C. Java is invented by Sun Microsystems during the dot com
> era, with huge investment toward marketing, to the point that even
> non-programers have read about it in common newspapers, with some senses
> of technological revolution. From the graph we can see, that Java's
> popularity went over C++ but fell slightly below C++ after the dot com
> bubble burst.

Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

When you learn to truly write C++ code, your code looks entirely
different to when you write it in C and usually much harder to mess up.

Bo Persson

Gianni Mariani wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity,
>> as indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
>> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
>> popularity trends.

> DUDE - did you write this ?

He is obviously taking the course "Lying with statistics 101".

The number of posts on C and C++ rose at the end of the 90's because

1. People other than .edu got interent access
2. The languages got standardized at that time

>> We can see that lisp is slowly but steadily on the rise, and the
>> imperative languages rose and fell with the dot com.

Interestingly, the number of people with internet access grows
exponentially, so a "slow growth" is actually losing market share.

>> C++ is a result of OOP fad in its infancy, and is functionally a
>> OOP
>> graft over C. Java is invented by Sun Microsystems during the dot
>> com
>> era, with huge investment toward marketing, to the point that even
>> non-programers have read about it in common newspapers, with some
>> senses of technological revolution. From the graph we can see, that
>> Java's popularity went over C++ but fell slightly below C++ after
>> the dot com bubble burst.

> Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

That's obviously a LISPer's view of the reality. "Functional
programming rules!"

Bo Persson

Jerry Stuckle

benben wrote:
>> These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
>> postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
>> information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
>> to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
>> newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
>> in the language remains strong.
>>

> The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
> know, the eternal September effect...
>
> Ben

I'm not sure everyone takes the time to search the internet for an
answer - at least I see a lot of questions which could be easily
answered by a quick google search. But the point is well taken - some
people do.

I would also argue that the numbers are affected by the complexity of
the language (the more complex a language, the more likely people will
have questions about it), other good resources on the net (i.e. forum
sites with lots of traffic), the number of good books on the subject,
availibiltiy of adult education classes, which leg my dog decided to
lift this morning, the color of the next car which pulls in to the
parking lot and a bunch of other things I haven't even though of.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address