Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > what does this mean?

what does this mean?

Victor Bazarov

Frederick Gotham wrote:
> Jerry Coffin posted:
>
>> In C99, however, the rule changes to be like in C++ (section
>> 6.8.6.4/1, a constraint on the return statement): "A return
>> statement without an expression shall appear only in a function
>> whose return type is void."

> I read that to mean that you can't have:
>
> int Func() { return; }
>
> It doesn't suggest to me that the following is broken:
>
> int Func() {}

Clarification: "broken" most likely means "ill-formed" here.

Frederick Gotham

Victor Bazarov posted:

>> It doesn't suggest to me that the following is broken:
>>
>> int Func() {}

> Clarification: "broken" most likely means "ill-formed" here.

I use the term, "broken", when I've to pause for more than two seconds to
consider whether it's "undefined behaviour" or "ill-formed"... it's a blanket
term!

--

Frederick Gotham

Victor Bazarov

Frederick Gotham wrote:
> Victor Bazarov posted:
>
>>> It doesn't suggest to me that the following is broken:
>>>
>>> int Func() {}

>> Clarification: "broken" most likely means "ill-formed" here.

> I use the term, "broken", when I've to pause for more than two
> seconds to consider whether it's "undefined behaviour" or
> "ill-formed"... it's a blanket term!

Trying to pull some wool over our eyes, eh?