Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Quality of MCSEs

Quality of MCSEs

Ben Robinson

"cyberpunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> posts like the original make me want to turn in my MCSE, my 8 years

If that's all it takes to make you quit, then maybe you're not right for
that sort of role? Anyway, I did not imply I was a manager, as I am not. And
we're not looking for permanent staff, so the rules are somewhat different.
I am sure your open minded view will serve well at keeping you in the same
dead-end position for 8 more years

Ben

cyberpunk

"Ben Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "cyberpunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > posts like the original make me want to turn in my MCSE, my 8 years

> If that's all it takes to make you quit, then maybe you're not right for
> that sort of role? Anyway, I did not imply I was a manager, as I am not. And
> we're not looking for permanent staff, so the rules are somewhat different.
> I am sure your open minded view will serve well at keeping you in the same
> dead-end position for 8 more years
>
> Ben

Did you even read my post, or just skim it and comment on it. First
off, my 8 yrs have been spent at some of the largest companies in the
country, mainly as a consultant, which gives me the unique experience
of seeing what all the companies do right and oh so wrong, all without
it affecting me in any way. I've been onsite at companies that you
couldn't pay me enough to work for, and I've been onsite at companies
that I would take a paycut just to work for. Open minded? What about
my post seems closed minded to you? I was simply commenting on the
language and tone that you used to describe your hiring woes. My
current position is far from dead end, and I am continuing to grow
professionally through both work experience and higher education.

While you did not state you are a manager, I thought it was assumed
since you were looking at and interviewing candidates, typically
clerks do not handle interviews, but perhaps in your company that is
the way it is done, if they have non-managers hiring people how to
they expect to build a proper team environment? Good Luck!

Neonrh

All of you have good points but one thing bugs me. I've gone through
quite a few resumes, interviewed quite a few people and have had much
frustration myself. What I think Ben may be pointing to is what I call
"padding" of resumes. So many times these people list having
experience with NT Server, switches, routers, etc but when you ask for
details, you find out that someone built the server and configured the
switches/routers for them prior to install and that they really know
crap about any of them. I even asked this guy what the difference was
between a switch and a hub.. and all I saw was a blank stare. Same
thing when I asked him what routing protocols he's worked with. But
yet in my experience over 75% of the resumes were padded. It's tough
to wade through what is really experience. This one guy was sent out
to do remote office installs and set up the network. Seemed like great
experience to me but he couldn't do any of the real work himself. Just
my 2 cents.

---
Sign up to get free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US/i-54.htm
View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article1015329.html
Neonrh

Neonrh's Profile: http://www.examnotes.net/forums/memb...&userid=178166

billyw

this happens all the time and recruitment consultants encourage it, e.g "can
you point at a mac" .. "yes" ... "great so u are an expert in appletalk"..
it happens, believe me...

"Neonrh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> All of you have good points but one thing bugs me. I've gone through
> quite a few resumes, interviewed quite a few people and have had much
> frustration myself. What I think Ben may be pointing to is what I call
> "padding" of resumes. So many times these people list having
> experience with NT Server, switches, routers, etc but when you ask for
> details, you find out that someone built the server and configured the
> switches/routers for them prior to install and that they really know
> crap about any of them. I even asked this guy what the difference was
> between a switch and a hub.. and all I saw was a blank stare. Same
> thing when I asked him what routing protocols he's worked with. But
> yet in my experience over 75% of the resumes were padded. It's tough
> to wade through what is really experience. This one guy was sent out
> to do remote office installs and set up the network. Seemed like great
> experience to me but he couldn't do any of the real work himself. Just
> my 2 cents.
>
> ---
> Sign up to get free daily practice questions at:

http://www.QoD.US/i-54.htm
> View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article1015329.html
> Neonrh

> Neonrh's Profile:

http://www.examnotes.net/forums/memb...&userid=178166

Consultant

isn't mac a big rig?

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this happens all the time and recruitment consultants encourage it, e.g

"can
> you point at a mac" .. "yes" ... "great so u are an expert in appletalk"..
> it happens, believe me...
>

> "Neonrh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > All of you have good points but one thing bugs me. I've gone through
> > quite a few resumes, interviewed quite a few people and have had much
> > frustration myself. What I think Ben may be pointing to is what I call
> > "padding" of resumes. So many times these people list having
> > experience with NT Server, switches, routers, etc but when you ask for
> > details, you find out that someone built the server and configured the
> > switches/routers for them prior to install and that they really know
> > crap about any of them. I even asked this guy what the difference was
> > between a switch and a hub.. and all I saw was a blank stare. Same
> > thing when I asked him what routing protocols he's worked with. But
> > yet in my experience over 75% of the resumes were padded. It's tough
> > to wade through what is really experience. This one guy was sent out
> > to do remote office installs and set up the network. Seemed like great
> > experience to me but he couldn't do any of the real work himself. Just
> > my 2 cents.
> >
> > ---
> > Sign up to get free daily practice questions at:

> http://www.QoD.US/i-54.htm
> > View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article1015329.html
> > Neonrh

> > Neonrh's Profile:

> http://www.examnotes.net/forums/memb...&userid=178166

billyw

if you can point at a rig your then an expert in product delivery

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> isn't mac a big rig?
>

> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > this happens all the time and recruitment consultants encourage it, e.g

> "can
> > you point at a mac" .. "yes" ... "great so u are an expert in

appletalk"..
> > it happens, believe me...
> >

> > "Neonrh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > All of you have good points but one thing bugs me. I've gone through
> > > quite a few resumes, interviewed quite a few people and have had much
> > > frustration myself. What I think Ben may be pointing to is what I

call
> > > "padding" of resumes. So many times these people list having
> > > experience with NT Server, switches, routers, etc but when you ask for
> > > details, you find out that someone built the server and configured the
> > > switches/routers for them prior to install and that they really know
> > > crap about any of them. I even asked this guy what the difference was
> > > between a switch and a hub.. and all I saw was a blank stare. Same
> > > thing when I asked him what routing protocols he's worked with. But
> > > yet in my experience over 75% of the resumes were padded. It's tough
> > > to wade through what is really experience. This one guy was sent out
> > > to do remote office installs and set up the network. Seemed like

great
> > > experience to me but he couldn't do any of the real work himself.

Just
> > > my 2 cents.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Sign up to get free daily practice questions at:

> > http://www.QoD.US/i-54.htm
> > > View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article1015329.html
> > > Neonrh

> > > Neonrh's Profile:

> > http://www.examnotes.net/forums/memb...&userid=178166

Paul Lynch

Ben,

When dealing with various agencies in the UK in the past I've found
that the following piece of information is invaluable.....

They are lying, cheating scum who would say or do anything to make
their bonus targets for the month.

No, this isn't a rant, but a careful scientific observation based on
factual analysis.....

Paul

"Ben Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Paul Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Would it not be prudent for you to be a little smarter when it comes
> > to sifting through CV's and actually look for clues which indicate
> > real world experience ?
> >
> > Or are you hoping that someone else will do that for you ?

> I do not personally have time to vet every CV that comes into the building,
> and one does hope when you pay an agency and request filtering that one will
> get it! But yes, the type of assessment performed by any agent who is merely
> interested in getting their commission is strictly limited, and would appear
> to be based on the 'this chap has 20 MCPs, he must be what they want',
> school of thought.
>
> I do examine CVs in a fairly thorough manner and try to conduct telephone
> interviews personally when I have the time to do so. I wanted to give our
> agency something better to go on than the MC** accreditations, in order that
> I don't waste my time with too many telephone interviews or having to review
> tens of CVs a day. And that literally is what it is, even with the agent
> filtering some out.
>
> Sadly it seems fairly easy for candidates to put these 'little clues' into
> their CVs, and it is only found to be 'little lies' when time has been
> wasted on a one-to-one.
>
> Regards
>
> Ben

Consultant

i have come to this conclusion about us firms also. it's a small, small
world

"Paul Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Ben,
>
> When dealing with various agencies in the UK in the past I've found
> that the following piece of information is invaluable.....
>
> They are lying, cheating scum who would say or do anything to make
> their bonus targets for the month.
>
> No, this isn't a rant, but a careful scientific observation based on
> factual analysis.....
>
> Paul
>
> "Ben Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Paul Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > Would it not be prudent for you to be a little smarter when it comes
> > > to sifting through CV's and actually look for clues which indicate
> > > real world experience ?
> > >
> > > Or are you hoping that someone else will do that for you ?

> > I do not personally have time to vet every CV that comes into the

building,
> > and one does hope when you pay an agency and request filtering that one

will
> > get it! But yes, the type of assessment performed by any agent who is

merely
> > interested in getting their commission is strictly limited, and would

appear
> > to be based on the 'this chap has 20 MCPs, he must be what they want',
> > school of thought.
> >
> > I do examine CVs in a fairly thorough manner and try to conduct

telephone
> > interviews personally when I have the time to do so. I wanted to give

our
> > agency something better to go on than the MC** accreditations, in order

that
> > I don't waste my time with too many telephone interviews or having to

review
> > tens of CVs a day. And that literally is what it is, even with the agent
> > filtering some out.
> >
> > Sadly it seems fairly easy for candidates to put these 'little clues'

into
> > their CVs, and it is only found to be 'little lies' when time has been
> > wasted on a one-to-one.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Ben

Ben Robinson

cyberpunk wrote:

> While you did not state you are a manager, I thought it was assumed

I stated I was the Technical Design Authority. As for the rest, I was being
sardonic, due to the content of your own post.

Ben

Brother and Sister MCSEs =?Utf-8?B?dmluY2U=?= MCSE 42 05-23-2006 06:13 PM
MCSEs Speak Out O.A. MCSE 7 08-30-2004 06:17 PM
Re: MCSES And MCSAS Ali MCSE 0 08-12-2003 05:04 PM
Re: MCSES And MCSAS Engr. Jesus Ernesto A Lim, MCSA MCSE 1 08-11-2003 01:40 PM
Free Beta exams offered to NT4 MCSEs? David MCSE 2 07-10-2003 09:13 PM

Advertisments