Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Keyboard-Error in Application after installing SP2 for Windows XP

Keyboard-Error in Application after installing SP2 for Windows XP

Johannes Meyer

Hello,

I'm using an application created in Windows98.
I get to run it on Windows XP while using SP1.

After the installation of SP2 there are some strange errors.
(In advance: the source-code is lost)
If one is using a table into the application (It's like an excel-sheet)
the error occurs:
If you go into a field of the grid by using the tab-key and hit any key
inside the field,
this key is written multiple times into the field.
For example: k = kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
l = llllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
each key with a different numbers of copies.
This is related only to the first key.
After the first one can write as usual.

If you go into a field with a mouse-click, everything is allright.
Also if the first key is esc or del.
But this is still a bad workaround for fast working.

Perhaps anybody can help me with this.
I'm desperately searching which change between XP SP1 and SP2 is
responsibel for this behaviour.

It is not a matter of keyboard-options!
And it happens on every pc I tried out.

Any tipps?

Best regards from Germany

Johannes

Victor Bazarov

Johannes Meyer wrote:
> I'm using an application created in Windows98.
> I get to run it on Windows XP while using SP1.
>
> After the installation of SP2 there are some strange errors.
> [...]
>
> Any tipps?

Uh... How do I break it to you?... You're in a wrong newsgroup.
This is a C++ language forum. Do you have a C++ language question?
If not, we can't help you. You need to find the newsgroup where
they talk about Windows XP.

Johannes Meyer

Hello Victor,

> This is a C++ language forum. Do you have a C++ language question?

the source-code is c++.
I guess it has something to do with the sourcecode?

Johannes

Jens Theisen

Johannes Meyer wrote:
> the source-code is c++.
> I guess it has something to do with the sourcecode?

Maybe, but only Microsoft has access to it. Even if we had access to it,
this is a forum focusing on the language, not on bugs in certain products.

Please note that most newsgroups have posting policies and FAQs
associated to them; this one tells you at the end of every posting.
Please read up on this first, as we get a lot of postings that are
off-topic here.

Best regards,

Jens

Johannes Meyer

Hello Jens,

so I am sorry.

Jens Theisen schrieb:

> Maybe, but only Microsoft has access to it

I guess not. I think they are not very interestet in the source-code of
my application.

I thought somebody has come around this problem while programming in
c++
That's the reason why I'm posting in this group.

> this is a forum focusing on the language, not on bugs in certain products.

But I would be thankful for a group which can help me with a C++ bug in
my application.

Johannes

Jens Theisen

Johannes Meyer wrote:
>>Maybe, but only Microsoft has access to it

> I guess not. I think they are not very interestet in the source-code of
> my application.

Sorry, I didn't read you posting carefully enough.

In principle, there surely are windows programming newsgroups, but
without any source there isn't much you can do about it anyway.

> But I would be thankful for a group which can help me with a C++ bug in
> my application.

Even if you knew a change in the API that caused this, what would you do
about it without sources?

Jens

Johannes Meyer

Hello Jens,

my Idea is that:

I desperately need to do something about this problem.
So I would try anything.

I thougt: If there is any idea what part of the source-code is
responsible,
one can find out, which part of the SP2 would do the harm.

And then I have something I could hold on.
I had some luck with this program with another problem through copy
some windows-file in the program-folder.

Johannes

Kai-Uwe Bux

Johannes Meyer wrote:

> Hello Jens,
>
> my Idea is that:
>
> I desperately need to do something about this problem.
> So I would try anything.
>
> I thougt: If there is any idea what part of the source-code is
> responsible,
> one can find out, which part of the SP2 would do the harm.

a) We do not even know what parts the lost source has.
b) Even if we did: what change in Windows could affect the program, is not
topical here.

> And then I have something I could hold on.
> I had some luck with this program with another problem through copy
> some windows-file in the program-folder.

Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Johannes Meyer

> Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

I did.
They say it is a c++ problem which is not topic in windows.
Of course it is a problem of c++ there
and it is a problem of windows here.

So I see I'm on my own again.

And I don't want to annoy you with c++-problems.

Johannes

Roland Pibinger

On 3 Sep 2006 10:43:18 -0700, "Johannes Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>> Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

>I did.
>They say it is a c++ problem which is not topic in windows.
>Of course it is a problem of c++ there
>and it is a problem of windows here.
>So I see I'm on my own again.

Try on of those (esp. the Visual C++ / MFC forum):
http://www.codeproject.com/script/comments/forums.asp