Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > any one got any views on the msce for security?

any one got any views on the msce for security?

m33p

Chaps,

Been wanting to get a accreditation for ages then MS
release a mcse and mcsa aimed at security.
Question: did having a mcse or mcsa change your working
life big time or does having the experiance count more...

Ie should i bother with the exams and how do i motivate
myself as most of this stuff is boring.

|{evin

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:15:14 -0700, "m33p" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Chaps,
>
>Been wanting to get a accreditation for ages then MS
>release a mcse and mcsa aimed at security.
>Question: did having a mcse or mcsa change your working
>life big time or does having the experiance count more...

Experience.

>Ie should i bother with the exams and how do i motivate
>myself as most of this stuff is boring.

If you find it boring then you should start looking for a new career.

Zenner

MS security is more of a "nice to have", if you are directly responsible for
system security or need some form of validation for HR, your Boss or to
impress the troops.

There are other more technical, third-party or generic security
certifications that hold more weight and open up more oppurtunities. An OS
vendor specific certification is limited to that vendors products. It does
go to show familiarity with the concepts of security, but I find fault
with Microsoft training as it is based on memorization and familiarity with
GUI controls (surprize, surprize!). Most of what you need to know is not
covered in a certifaction class. Being familiar with DNS (internal/external,
how to make use of Prinmary, secondary zones...as well and the AD-integrated
MS products, when is it appropriate to use one over the other?). How to
install and trouble shoot a firewall, which ports to open, which to never
open and when/how to justify your decision. How to provide the best security
your company or customer can afford and still present a better than average
protection defense is the name of the game. Any system can be compromised,
given enough time, access and exploiting systemic weaknesses. Your defense
is to delay, decieve and deter the attacker. That gives you and your staff a
chance to detect the intrusion and form a reasonable counter-attack or
defense.

Experince can be a method to learn, but it can also mean that the person
just sat in a cubical and did what he was told for "x" number of
years...experience is not the end-all, be-all that some in this forum are
constantly touting.
"m33p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:229401c33f01$42c5c3c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chaps,
>
> Been wanting to get a accreditation for ages then MS
> release a mcse and mcsa aimed at security.
> Question: did having a mcse or mcsa change your working
> life big time or does having the experiance count more...
>
> Ie should i bother with the exams and how do i motivate
> myself as most of this stuff is boring.

Beoweolf

MS security is more of a "nice to have", if you are directly responsible for
system security or need some form of validation for HR, your Boss or to
impress the troops.

There are other more technical, third-party or generic security
certifications that hold more weight and open up more opportunities. An OS
vendor specific certification is limited to that vendors products. It does
go to show familiarity with the concepts of security, but I find fault
with Microsoft training as it is based on memorization and familiarity with
GUI controls (surprise, surprise!). Most of what you need to know is not
covered in a certification class. Being familiar with DNS
(internal/external,
how to make use of Primary, secondary zones...as well and the AD-integrated
MS products, when is it appropriate to use one over the other?). How to
install and trouble shoot a firewall, which ports to open, which to never
open and when/how to justify your decision. How to provide the best security
your company or customer can afford and still present a better than average
protection defense is the name of the game. Any system can be compromised,
given enough time, access and exploiting systemic weaknesses. Your defense
is to delay, deceive and deter the attacker. That gives you and your staff a
chance to detect the intrusion and form a reasonable counter-attack or
defense.

Experience can be a method to learn, but it can also mean that the person
just sat in a cubical and did what he was told for "x" number of
years...experience is not the end-all, be-all that some in this forum are
constantly touting.

"Zenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23IGWTR$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MS security is more of a "nice to have", if you are directly responsible

for
> system security or need some form of validation for HR, your Boss or to
> impress the troops.
>
> There are other more technical, third-party or generic security
> certifications that hold more weight and open up more oppurtunities. An OS
> vendor specific certification is limited to that vendors products. It does
> go to show familiarity with the concepts of security, but I find fault
> with Microsoft training as it is based on memorization and familiarity

with
> GUI controls (surprize, surprize!). Most of what you need to know is not
> covered in a certifaction class. Being familiar with DNS

(internal/external,
> how to make use of Prinmary, secondary zones...as well and the

AD-integrated
> MS products, when is it appropriate to use one over the other?). How to
> install and trouble shoot a firewall, which ports to open, which to never
> open and when/how to justify your decision. How to provide the best

security
> your company or customer can afford and still present a better than

average
> protection defense is the name of the game. Any system can be compromised,
> given enough time, access and exploiting systemic weaknesses. Your defense
> is to delay, decieve and deter the attacker. That gives you and your staff

> chance to detect the intrusion and form a reasonable counter-attack or
> defense.
>
> Experince can be a method to learn, but it can also mean that the person
> just sat in a cubical and did what he was told for "x" number of
> years...experience is not the end-all, be-all that some in this forum are
> constantly touting.
> "m33p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:229401c33f01$42c5c3c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Chaps,
> >
> > Been wanting to get a accreditation for ages then MS
> > release a mcse and mcsa aimed at security.
> > Question: did having a mcse or mcsa change your working
> > life big time or does having the experiance count more...
> >
> > Ie should i bother with the exams and how do i motivate
> > myself as most of this stuff is boring.

dave

Hi,

Just like to reply to your post

basically experience does count but getting the certs
aids u even more.

if it is boring for you then maybe this is not ur line

regards

Consultant

that is untrue. i know many excellent engineers without a single cert.

"m33p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0ec301c34553$192f2cb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boring as in the sense i dont need 2 know the in's and
> outs of everything because no1 will ever know that....
>
> Just seems unfair that in this day and age if you dont
> have a acreditation behind your name your seen as a second
> class engineer.

CMV CT-726D LCD Monitors. Any one got one?? Mutlley NZ Computing 10 03-12-2012 10:45 PM
One Subject - 4 Views Annika1980 Digital Photography 4 07-10-2008 06:56 AM
One billion page views Senti Computer Support 8 03-01-2006 03:11 AM
PSP Any one Got one..? XP NZ Computing 7 09-01-2005 08:40 PM
Having One Page Produce Multiple Views Tim Rogers ASP .Net 3 11-10-2003 02:02 PM

Advertisments