Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > MIDL problems

MIDL problems

McGragger

I am getting an exception when I make my new RPC call. I think I may be
going about this IDL all wrong. I would like to pass in an integer
pointer and a character array pointer to the server. I would like the
server to change the character array and then make the integer its
size. The integer changing is working fine. My character array is not.
Here is a stripped sown sample of what I am trying.

typedef long I32;
typedef char * Purl;

IrsI32 H2CurlReq ( [in,out] I32
*ptrUrlLength,
[out,size_is(*ptrUrlLength)] Purl
ptrURL );

Victor Bazarov

McGragger wrote:
> I am getting an exception when I make my new RPC call. I think I may
> be going about this IDL all wrong. [...]

Wrong newsgroup. You most likely need to post to a newsgroup with
"microsoft" in its name.

Thomas Tutone

McGragger wrote:

> I am getting an exception when I make my new RPC call.

What's an RPC call?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPC

Do you mean a Remote Procedure Call?

> I think I may be
> going about this IDL all wrong.

What's an IDL?

> I would like to pass in an integer
> pointer and a character array pointer to the server. I would like the
> server to change the character array and then make the integer its
> size. The integer changing is working fine. My character array is not.
> Here is a stripped sown sample of what I am trying.
>

> typedef long I32;
> typedef char * Purl;
>
> IrsI32 H2CurlReq ( [in,out] I32

What is an IrsI32? What is [in,out]?

> *ptrUrlLength,
> [out,size_is(*ptrUrlLength)] Purl

What is [out, size_iz etc.?

> ptrURL );

Is this supposed to be C++? It doesn't look like it.

Best regards,

Tom