Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Newbie - simple question

Newbie - simple question

peterlavington@hotmail.com

Just getting my head round the language and finding it reasonably
straight forward - however, what I can't seem to understand is the
relationship between C++ and Windows. If I write a program in C++ I use
notepad then compile it and run it in the command prompt (which to me
is just like using DOS). What is the process where I can put my
finished program onto my desktop in WinXP and just click the icon to
run it?

red floyd

> Just getting my head round the language and finding it reasonably
> straight forward - however, what I can't seem to understand is the
> relationship between C++ and Windows. If I write a program in C++ I use
> notepad then compile it and run it in the command prompt (which to me
> is just like using DOS). What is the process where I can put my
> finished program onto my desktop in WinXP and just click the icon to
> run it?

Puppet_Sock

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[snip]
> straight forward - however, what I can't seem to understand is the
> relationship between C++ and Windows.

The relationship is, go to a Windows news group and people will
love your question. Ask it here and it will be off topic. Here we
deal with C++ language issues. Windows is an operating system.
Getting stuff running under that is implementation specific, and
so off topic here.

Look for news groups with windows or win32 or microsoft in the
name. If you go to groups.google.com you should be able to find
an entire set of microsoft.public.* groups, and find many helpful
answers in there.
Socks

Jim Langston

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Just getting my head round the language and finding it reasonably
> straight forward - however, what I can't seem to understand is the
> relationship between C++ and Windows. If I write a program in C++ I use
> notepad then compile it and run it in the command prompt (which to me
> is just like using DOS). What is the process where I can put my
> finished program onto my desktop in WinXP and just click the icon to
> run it?

Once you have your .exe (which you are running from the command prompt) you
can move that .exe anywhere (including your desktop) to run it just like any
other program.

If, on the other hand, you are asking about why yours is in a console window
instead of a regular window, that's because you wrote a console program and
not a windowed program. You'll need to read up on that.