Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Recommendations for SQL 2000 Admin 70-228 textbook ?

Recommendations for SQL 2000 Admin 70-228 textbook ?

A.N.Other

I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.

I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
manual as well?

Thanks in advance!

Andy Foster

"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
>
> I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> manual as well?
>
> Thanks in advance!

So, you want to pass the exam without all the hassle of actually learning
the product ?
Think having SQL as an elective will help you land a job as a DBA ? With no
experience ?
Go to your room and think about what you've done, and don't come downstairs
until you're ready to apologise.

HTH

Andy

Lady

Try www.selftestsoftware.com

That's where I get ALL my certification prep materials.First, try the flash
cards, then, for each question, it gives you a detailed explanation of
exactly why the right answer is right and the wrong answers are wrong.

That way, you just have to read what you don't understand. An online mentor
is part of the package too. Within the interface, you can click on MENTOR to
have something fully explained by a live instructor. - All for $99

I hope this helps.

"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
>
> I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> manual as well?
>
> Thanks in advance!

vt

If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
that you do have experience with.

--
vt

"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
>
> I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> manual as well?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Lois

I just took 70-228 this morning and found it the second
hardest test of the bunch (got my MCSE and MCSA now). I
had no SQl experience so I took the class first. Then I
did the MOC thing complete w/2 servers at home, also read
a very good book by Syngress and did those labs then
studied off the Transcender tests. 4 hours a day for a
month, 8 hours on days off. I don't think there is an
easy way to 'get it' with no prior experience. I plan on
doing MCDBA (one more test) but need to rest my brain
first. No other study experience has made my head hurt
like SQL.
Take a security test or something unless you are willing
to put in the effort. SQL is a whole other beast.

Lois
MCSE MCSA

A.N.Other

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:45:05 +0100, "Andy Foster"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, you want to pass the exam without all the hassle of actually learning
>the product ?
>Think having SQL as an elective will help you land a job as a DBA ? With no
>experience ?
>Go to your room and think about what you've done, and don't come downstairs
>until you're ready to apologise.
>
>HTH
>
>Andy

Erm, excuse me??? If I wanted to cheat, I'd just go to a brain dump
site.

As you're doubtless aware, some manuals are good and some are a load
of rubbish. I still want a good one, and am prepared to commit to
studying SQL. All I'm trying to do is avoid getting one of those
manuals that goes into waaaaayyy too much detail because it's trying
too hard to be a full on reference manual at the same time.

A.N.Other

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:29:27 -0700, "vt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
>that you do have experience with.

I could do 70-216, but I hear it's pretty difficult. I could also do
SMS 2.0, but I gather that it's quite an evil exam and it'll probably
expired a lot sooner than SQL. With SQL, I figured I could learn
something new, plus get a longer lasting qualification.

Our Man Abu

If
"vt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
> that you do have experience with.
>
> --

If there was ever a product where this is sound advice, SQL Server is it. I
remember some years back a colleague has passed serveral networking
certification exams and on his resume said that certifications in C++ and
SQL Server were "pending" when he had no experience with either. I told him
that I didn't know much about the MCSE side of the equation, but having had
my MCSD, I told him he needed a fair amount of hands on with these products
before he could consider certification. He never did get these certs.
Talking certification without wanting to make the sacrifice of at least
"getting your hands" dirty for a few months is a bad idea.

Japes

Took the SMS 2 exam recently, Although I didn't find it easy, I did pass.
Like most puter exams if you know your stuff and have worked with the
product you should pass the test. Its not on the "to be discontinued" list
and I doubt it will be for at least a year.

Again the 216 is only has hard as you make it, know the core concepts and
work with the material and its not so bad.

--
Regards

Japes

Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:29:27 -0700, "vt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
> >that you do have experience with.

> I could do 70-216, but I hear it's pretty difficult. I could also do
> SMS 2.0, but I gather that it's quite an evil exam and it'll probably
> expired a lot sooner than SQL. With SQL, I figured I could learn
> something new, plus get a longer lasting qualification.

Consultant

how's aladin?

news:L7BLa.5875$(E-Mail Removed)...