Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Recommendations for SQL 2000 Admin 70-228 textbook ?

Recommendations for SQL 2000 Admin 70-228 textbook ?

WOLFF

Iam having a blast with the new set of MCSE / MCSA from MSpress.
the blue one's with the big 2 on them.
Not sure but I think these are the new HLSE from MS.
So I would check these out

"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
>
> I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> manual as well?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Mark Broadbent

HI A.N. I've read all the replys and I guess my suggestion is to avoid the
SQL exams if you can find another product which you can relate to more.
Both the SQL exams I found were amongst the hardest I have done (although
you dont get scores anymore so you cant really tell), since I like to learn
a product properly I spent a long time studying (longer than any other
exams), and must admit that there is still a hell of a lot of things that I
am learning. In fact many of the SQL MVPs would probably agree that however
much of SQL you learn, there is always something new to find.

Dont let me talk you out of choosing it if thats what you really want to do,
just make sure you can play with the product whilst learning.

Book Recommendations .....I must admit that I have a lot of SQL books,
however you would probably find that getting the SQL Transcender and using
the SQL books online will help you as much as any book
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...2000/books.asp

Good luck with your employment!

--
BR,

Mark Broadbent mcse+i, mcdba
_________________________
"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
>
> I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> manual as well?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Michele Adams

I too found the 228 exam to be very tough. In fact it's the only one I've
failed to date [knock]. Although they did not give scores I know the
questions I found difficult were the ones about designing and
optimization--things as a SQL admin I leave to the developers. [How many
developers really want an admin-type messing with their tables???] The
admin/developer boundary is eroding and a competitive position to be is to
know both. SQL along with .NET Framework and Web services are areas where
this boundary is eroding the quickest.

For this reason I do believe the MCDBA is a valuable credential and set of
skills to master for those who are considering where to focus their
specialization. I recommend 228 for anyone who aspires to MCDBA as this is
a common requirement. This is also a good choice for anyone who wishes to
impress employers beyond just a four letter certification. For those who
just want a piece of paper starting MCSwhatever then skip the 228--there are
easier roads to travel.

"Mark Broadbent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5FuTa.8063$(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI A.N. I've read all the replys and I guess my suggestion is to avoid the
> SQL exams if you can find another product which you can relate to more.
> Both the SQL exams I found were amongst the hardest I have done (although
> you dont get scores anymore so you cant really tell), since I like to

learn
> a product properly I spent a long time studying (longer than any other
> exams), and must admit that there is still a hell of a lot of things that

> am learning. In fact many of the SQL MVPs would probably agree that

however
> much of SQL you learn, there is always something new to find.
>
> Dont let me talk you out of choosing it if thats what you really want to

do,
> just make sure you can play with the product whilst learning.
>
> Book Recommendations .....I must admit that I have a lot of SQL books,
> however you would probably find that getting the SQL Transcender and using

> the SQL books online will help you as much as any book
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...2000/books.asp
>
> Good luck with your employment!
>
> --
> BR,
>
> Mark Broadbent mcse+i, mcdba
> _________________________
> "A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> > The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
> >
> > I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> > can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> > result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> > self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> > suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> > the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> > manual as well?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

"Michele Adams" <shelly%at%lv.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I too found the 228 exam to be very tough. In fact it's the only one I've
> failed to date [knock]. Although they did not give scores I know the
> questions I found difficult were the ones about designing and
> optimization--things as a SQL admin I leave to the developers. [How many
> developers really want an admin-type messing with their tables???] The
> admin/developer boundary is eroding and a competitive position to be is to
> know both. SQL along with .NET Framework and Web services are areas where
> this boundary is eroding the quickest.
>
> For this reason I do believe the MCDBA is a valuable credential and set of
> skills to master for those who are considering where to focus their
> specialization. I recommend 228 for anyone who aspires to MCDBA as this

is
> a common requirement. This is also a good choice for anyone who wishes to
> impress employers beyond just a four letter certification. For those who
> just want a piece of paper starting MCSwhatever then skip the 228--there

are
> easier roads to travel.

Michelle, ma belle
These are words that go together well
My Michelle

Michelle, ma belle
Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
Tre's bien ensemble

I love you, I love you, I love you
That's all I want to say
Until I find a way
I will say the only words I know you'll understand

Michelle, ma belle
Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
Tre's bien ensemble

I need to, I need to, I need to
I need to make you see
Oh, what you mean to me
Until I do I'm hoping you will know what I mean
I love you

I want you, I want you, I want you
I think you know by now
I'll get to you some how
Until I do I'm telling you so you'll understand

Michelle, ma belle
Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
Tre's bien ensemble
And I will say the only words I know that you'll understand
My Michelle

--
Fris "The fifth Beatle" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Jtyc

You French scumbag... You forgot to run up the white flag after you finished
your song.

billyw

Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
Ni Le Bien Qu`on M`a Fait, Ni Le Mal
Tout Ca M`est Bien Egal
Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
C`est Paye, Balaye, Oublie, Je Me Fous Du Passe

Avec Mes Souvenirs J`ai Allume Le Feu
Mes Shagrins, Mes Plaisirs,
Je N`ai Plus Besoin D`eux
Balaye Les Amours Avec Leurs Tremolos
Balaye Pour Toujours
Je Reparas A Zero

Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
Ni Le Bien Qu`on M`a Fait, Ni Le Mal
Tout Ca M`est Bien Egal
Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
Car Ma Vie, Car Me Joies
Aujourd`hui Ca Commence Avec Toi

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You French scumbag... You forgot to run up the white flag after you

finished
> your song.

Jtyc

You make me sick Frenchy.