Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Authors Wanted - WHOIS itc2.org???

Re: Authors Wanted - WHOIS itc2.org???

J Alex

"Geomancer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Yes, real world experience IS important.

I'd take an 'A' student with no experience who just graduated with an MS in
Computer Science over a 'C' student with 4 years experience.

In my experience (with co-workers and employees) the best predictor of
success in the computer industry has been a college degree with good grades
in math, computer science, or engineering. And even better if a graduate
degree. Some people without that are very good, but almost without
exception, the very best I've worked with have had a BS or MS in a
scientific field. I haven't found any certification program to be a
worthwhile predictor.

Geomancer

> I'd take an 'A' student with no experience who just graduated with an MS in
> Computer Science over a 'C' student with 4 years experience.

Hear Hear!!!!

> In my experience (with co-workers and employees) the best predictor of
> success in the computer industry has been a college degree with good grades
> in math, computer science, or engineering. And even better if a graduate
> degree.

Yes indeed.

Remarkably, those with an MS in Math or an MBA make exceptional Oracle
DBAs.

Personally, I think any Oracle certification should include a degree
in a quantitative major (CS, engineering, math).