Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > francis glassborow is a miserable old coot

francis glassborow is a miserable old coot

jpbisguier@yahoo.ca

who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

JH Trauntvein

> who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
> sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

I have been monitoring this news group for a number of years and have
found very few, if any occasions when Mr GlasBorough's (I apologise for
the spelling) remarks weren't lucid and to the point. I cannot begin
to imagine the number of hours that he has spent voluntarily to
moderate and contribute to this forum and am deeply saddened that
anybody feels obliged to make such unwarranted personal attacks. I
realise that this message may be feeding trolls but, at the same time,
I wish to personally convey my thanks to Francis and others who make
this forum such an excellent resource.

Regards,

Jon Trauntvein

Frederick Gotham

JH Trauntvein posted:

<snip>

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding
others not to respond to trolls.

Information on trolls: http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

JH, you can be assured that nobody payed a blind bit of notice to the
"personal attack".

--

Frederick Gotham

Daniel T.

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
> sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

I wanted to say thanks too Francis. You obviously care very deeply about
the C++ community and spend quite a bit of time explaining the language
to those eager few who really want to learn (as opposed to those who
just want an answer.) I know I'm always thrilled when I manage to answer
a question before you and you agree with my answer.

We all have our moods of course and sometimes you *are* a miserable old
coot, but your *our* miserable old coot so again, thanks!

LR

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

[more contextually incomprehensible insults snipped]

Whilst I recognize that it is bad form to respond to trolls, I think I
will make an exception here.

You are shockingly wrong.

Please offer an apology at your earliest convenience.

LR

Chris

If you have constructive criticisms to offer about Mr. Glassborow's
book or methods, please state them. If you just want to call someone
names, don't bother posting to this forum.

Chris \( Val \)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
| who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
| sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

Huh?

Francis has been a regular contributor to both groups
for quite a long time, freely giving up his time to
help anyone with a programming problem.

Having said that however, the approach you have taken
is *very childish* indeed.

The right thing for you to do, would have been to pose
your problem to the author (Francis) directly via email
if you were uncertain of something, or pose a question
to 'c.l.l.c-c++' group (at minimum), as chances are that
Francis himself, if surely not one of many regulars would
have been happy to help clarify a point he may have been
trying to make in his book.

Instead, you chose to publicly flame Francis for a topic
which you seem to know very little about. I have learnt
many new techniques from Francis, and am glad that he is
around to impart his valuable knowledge to those of us who
care to listen.

The least you could do is provide him with an immediate
public apology, for your silly and uneducated outburst.

It's your loss if you feel otherwsie...

--
Chris Val

rossum

On 14 Aug 2006 08:05:51 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
>sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

You are wrong, this is a coot:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/c/coot/index.asp

rossum

Francis Glassborow

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
>sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

Thanks to those who replied to this. I was away being miserable at a
Bridge Congress. And yes, I am currently miserable for reasons that are
not of any concern here, and I am old but try to pretend I am not.

And yes there are times when I seem less than helpful and times when
this medium may make it look as if I am (I sometimes try to answer in a
hurry because there is some other demand on my time)

--
Francis Glassborow ACCU
Author of 'You Can Do It!' and "You Can Program in C++"

Keith Thompson

Francis Glassborow <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) writes
>>who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
>>sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!
>>

> Thanks to those who replied to this. I was away being miserable at a
> Bridge Congress. And yes, I am currently miserable for reasons that
> are not of any concern here, and I am old but try to pretend I am not.
>
> And yes there are times when I seem less than helpful and times when
> this medium may make it look as if I am (I sometimes try to answer in
> a hurry because there is some other demand on my time)

None of which even begins to excuse the kind of abuse exhibited by
jpbisguier.