Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Networkng with PDA

Wireless Networkng with PDA

Ed

Hi, Gurus,
I have a Belkin ADSL Wireless Router, and PC running
Windows XP, and a Pocket PC running PPC Windows 2002.
I am having difficulty browsing the PC network with the
PPC, wirelessly.
I can connect to the internet, send and receive e-mails
on the net, and also run Activesync wirelessly, but I
can't get the networked files to appear. I am certain
that, because Activesync is working, there is a
connection there.
To get to the folder I want from the Pocket PC to the PC,
I go to File Explorer (on the PPC) touch the network icon
at the bottom of the screen, and then it asks me to op[en
a path - I'm not sure what prefixes and suffixes I need
to get to the right place - can anyone help???
Cheers,
Ed

Sooner Al

Use the name of your PC... Example for my XP Pro box "Ashtabula"...

\\Ashtabula

This presumes you have shares setup on the desktop PC...

Please post questions concerning PocketPC wireless issues to the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
or microsoft.public.pocketpc news groups...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:208201c4a79a$81c72250$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Gurus,
> I have a Belkin ADSL Wireless Router, and PC running
> Windows XP, and a Pocket PC running PPC Windows 2002.
> I am having difficulty browsing the PC network with the
> PPC, wirelessly.
> I can connect to the internet, send and receive e-mails
> on the net, and also run Activesync wirelessly, but I
> can't get the networked files to appear. I am certain
> that, because Activesync is working, there is a
> connection there.
> To get to the folder I want from the Pocket PC to the PC,
> I go to File Explorer (on the PPC) touch the network icon
> at the bottom of the screen, and then it asks me to op[en
> a path - I'm not sure what prefixes and suffixes I need
> to get to the right place - can anyone help???
> Cheers,
> Ed

Ed

Thanks, Al, tried that, but it doesn't seem to have worked, I can still
access the internet, and the emails, but the network does not work - do you
think there'll be an update for networking from Microsoft??

"Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23tKs%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use the name of your PC... Example for my XP Pro box "Ashtabula"...
>
> \\Ashtabula
>
> This presumes you have shares setup on the desktop PC...
>
> Please post questions concerning PocketPC wireless issues to the
> microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless or microsoft.public.pocketpc news
> groups...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:208201c4a79a$81c72250$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Gurus,
>> I have a Belkin ADSL Wireless Router, and PC running
>> Windows XP, and a Pocket PC running PPC Windows 2002.
>> I am having difficulty browsing the PC network with the
>> PPC, wirelessly.
>> I can connect to the internet, send and receive e-mails
>> on the net, and also run Activesync wirelessly, but I
>> can't get the networked files to appear. I am certain
>> that, because Activesync is working, there is a
>> connection there.
>> To get to the folder I want from the Pocket PC to the PC,
>> I go to File Explorer (on the PPC) touch the network icon
>> at the bottom of the screen, and then it asks me to op[en
>> a path - I'm not sure what prefixes and suffixes I need
>> to get to the right place - can anyone help???
>> Cheers,
>> Ed

Sooner Al

Any error messages?
Any personal firewall software running on the PC that may be blocking File & Print Sharing?
What PocketPC are you using?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Ed" <edbevan(removethis)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%234%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Al, tried that, but it doesn't seem to have worked, I can still access the internet, and
> the emails, but the network does not work - do you think there'll be an update for networking from
> Microsoft??
>
> "Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23tKs%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Use the name of your PC... Example for my XP Pro box "Ashtabula"...
>>
>> \\Ashtabula
>>
>> This presumes you have shares setup on the desktop PC...
>>
>> Please post questions concerning PocketPC wireless issues to the
>> microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless or microsoft.public.pocketpc news groups...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:208201c4a79a$81c72250$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, Gurus,
>>> I have a Belkin ADSL Wireless Router, and PC running
>>> Windows XP, and a Pocket PC running PPC Windows 2002.
>>> I am having difficulty browsing the PC network with the
>>> PPC, wirelessly.
>>> I can connect to the internet, send and receive e-mails
>>> on the net, and also run Activesync wirelessly, but I
>>> can't get the networked files to appear. I am certain
>>> that, because Activesync is working, there is a
>>> connection there.
>>> To get to the folder I want from the Pocket PC to the PC,
>>> I go to File Explorer (on the PPC) touch the network icon
>>> at the bottom of the screen, and then it asks me to op[en
>>> a path - I'm not sure what prefixes and suffixes I need
>>> to get to the right place - can anyone help???
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ed

Ed

No error messages, just stopping!
Pocket PC is Toshiba e-740 - which I find is really good at everything else!
It's Microsoft Pocket PC - Version 3.1.11171. I am running ZoneAlarm Pro,
and probably Windows Firewall as well. I'll try knocking them off for a
moment while I try the network again!
Cheers,
Ed

"Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any error messages?
> Any personal firewall software running on the PC that may be blocking File
> & Print Sharing?
> What PocketPC are you using?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Ed" <edbevan(removethis)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%234%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks, Al, tried that, but it doesn't seem to have worked, I can still
>> access the internet, and the emails, but the network does not work - do
>> you think there'll be an update for networking from Microsoft??
>>
>> "Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23tKs%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Use the name of your PC... Example for my XP Pro box "Ashtabula"...
>>>
>>> \\Ashtabula
>>>
>>> This presumes you have shares setup on the desktop PC...
>>>
>>> Please post questions concerning PocketPC wireless issues to the
>>> microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless or microsoft.public.pocketpc news
>>> groups...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:208201c4a79a$81c72250$(E-Mail Removed)...

Ed

Nope, that didn't work - it has to be something else along the lines of the
network names, and computer names - is there a way of searching from the
Pocket PC?
I know they are browsable from elsewhere, because my laptop can access the
folders over the network connection.
Ed

"Ed" <edbevan(removethis)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No error messages, just stopping!
> Pocket PC is Toshiba e-740 - which I find is really good at everything
> else! It's Microsoft Pocket PC - Version 3.1.11171. I am running ZoneAlarm
> Pro, and probably Windows Firewall as well. I'll try knocking them off for
> a moment while I try the network again!
> Cheers,
> Ed
>
> "Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any error messages?
>> Any personal firewall software running on the PC that may be blocking
>> File & Print Sharing?
>> What PocketPC are you using?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "Ed" <edbevan(removethis)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%234%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks, Al, tried that, but it doesn't seem to have worked, I can still
>>> access the internet, and the emails, but the network does not work - do
>>> you think there'll be an update for networking from Microsoft??
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23tKs%(E-Mail Removed)...

Sooner Al

Make real sure the firewalls are disabled...That's what the problem sounds like to me...

Things to try...

Since you can ActiveSync wirelessly then I presume NetBIOS is enabled over TCP/IP.... I also presume
you can ping the PC your trying to access shares on by both name and IP...

http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

Pocket Hosts by Marc Zimmerman...It maps an IP to an alias for addressing purposes...

http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm

No, no way to browse for the PocketPC in Network Neighborhood for example. The only way to access
the PocketPC from the desktop is via ActiveSync Explorer while in an ActiveSync session (cradle or
wired/wireless).