Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > One More exam left before MCSD! (70-300)

One More exam left before MCSD! (70-300)

Paul Qualls

Took the security exam today (70-340) and passed. It was by far harder than
any of the others that I had taken, but I heard it was a challenge, and in
the long run the skills I obtained while preparing will be an asset to me as
well as my company.

Now for 70-300

Any pointers for aquiring a passing score on that one? I have the mspress
set which has a book for it, as well as I have the exam cram 2 book. But I
am open to any other direct study material/methods that anyone might offer
some insight into.

Thanks,

Paul Qualls
MCP
MCAD

Scott M

Paul,
I just passed 70-300 2 weeks ago or so. I'm (thinking of) taking 70-330
next and its my last test for MCSD.NET. I'll give you some pointers on 300
if you give me some on 330

I used the MSPress book - which was ok, but hte questions on the CD were
much more helpful. Besides that I used many online resources including:
http://www.codeclinic.com/70-300skills.htm

As for the test, it was my first case study - so i bought the transcender,
which was incredibly helpful - as all the other practice exams were just
question based.
Another thing I found while taking the test and studying is, as usual,
assume NOTHING unless a reason is explicitly stated in the case study.
I was told and read I'd get 160 minutes, but the test only gave 120. I used
almost every minute. Once finished with a case study you cannot go back to
it. So, use every minute to review, review, review. Someone posted on here
and i used the theory alot - make sure KNOW why you ARE NOT choosing certian
awnsers, instead of knowing why you ARE choosing the one you choose.

Thats about all I have. Good luck with it, and congrats on your achivements
so far.
-Scott
"Paul Qualls" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Took the security exam today (70-340) and passed. It was by far harder
> than any of the others that I had taken, but I heard it was a challenge,
> and in the long run the skills I obtained while preparing will be an asset
> to me as well as my company.
>
> Now for 70-300
>
> Any pointers for aquiring a passing score on that one? I have the mspress
> set which has a book for it, as well as I have the exam cram 2 book. But
> I am open to any other direct study material/methods that anyone might
> offer some insight into.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Qualls
> MCP
> MCAD

DST

Paul,

You'll find this thread interesting:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...af8beb9c19f194

I give some tips for 70-300.

Success,

DST

Paul Qualls

"Scott M" <smillard@mail[rem ove].ucf.edu> wrote in message
news:e$cvRP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul,
> I just passed 70-300 2 weeks ago or so. I'm (thinking of) taking 70-330
> next and its my last test for MCSD.NET. I'll give you some pointers on
> 300 if you give me some on 330

I took the 70-340 exam, but I think that other than syntax, the tests would
be the same. I used as a study guide, the self-paced Training Kit book
"Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic.Net and
Microsoft Visual C#.Net" isbn 0-7356-2121-7 . The sample tests on the CD
were 100% worthless towards preparing for the exam as only about 10
questions out of all of them were similarly covered on the real exam. That
is not to say that the information on the exam is not relevant or important,
because I did learn much about security (just not covered on the test I
took). But if you are preparing specifically for the exam and want to take
sample tests, don't use the one provided on the CD. That being said, I did
buy the "selftest software" practice exam for this, and it was very good. I
learned more by taking the selftest software and researching my incorrect
answers. BUT be cautious.. some of the answers on the exam are wrong. For
example, they have some questions that state that the correct answer to the
question is like
[assembly: ............... SecurityAction.Demand

and as far as I could tell, you can't do a Demand or LinkDemand at the
Assembly level

Other than that, understand CA certificates, Code Access Security (including
how to handle exceptions), sql injection prevention, buffer overrun
prevention and other general topics. Another biggie is to know how to know
what context your application is running under based on the combination of
your web.config as well as how your IIS server is set up (integrated windows
security, impersonation, anonymous etc)

Let us know how your exam goes. and Good luck!

Paul