Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How do I troubleshoot this?

How do I troubleshoot this?

John

My wireless connection has just been lost and I need some help on how to
troubleshoot this. I have not installed anything or changed the system
configuration. I had no wireless connectivity after first boot up of the
day. Had been working fine until now. This COMPAQ laptop has Broadcom 54g on
XP Pro 2.8 Ghz. Device manager says the hardware is working fine.
Troubleshoot help files says to reinstall drive I need a disk which I have
all that came with this system but none seem to have the driver. The two
'Driver Recovery CDs' do not seem to have the drivers and I am not even sure
if this process will fix my problem. Wireless Network Connection Icon has
red X but all setting seem to be correct. Can someone please help me with
this one?
Thanks

John

mike

firstly, reset the router.
mine does this...not sure why...
next is to see if you can see the signal from the router on the wifi card
screen.
if it is listed then you must have a setting wrong on the laptop end.
make sure you turn off any encryption etc etc.

the red x canmean many things, mostly i find it means you can see the
routers signal but for some reason you are not allowed to connect.

mike

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wireless connection has just been lost and I need some help on how to
> troubleshoot this. I have not installed anything or changed the system
> configuration. I had no wireless connectivity after first boot up of the
> day. Had been working fine until now. This COMPAQ laptop has Broadcom 54g

on
> XP Pro 2.8 Ghz. Device manager says the hardware is working fine.
> Troubleshoot help files says to reinstall drive I need a disk which I have
> all that came with this system but none seem to have the driver. The two
> 'Driver Recovery CDs' do not seem to have the drivers and I am not even

sure
> if this process will fix my problem. Wireless Network Connection Icon has
> red X but all setting seem to be correct. Can someone please help me with
> this one?
> Thanks
>
> John

---

John

mike wrote:
> firstly, reset the router.
> mine does this...not sure why...
> next is to see if you can see the signal from the router on the wifi
> card screen.
> if it is listed then you must have a setting wrong on the laptop end.
> make sure you turn off any encryption etc etc.
>
> the red x canmean many things, mostly i find it means you can see the
> routers signal but for some reason you are not allowed to connect.
>
> mike

Thanks Mike. I just tried resetting the router but no help unless there is
a procedure other then the simple one I used. unplug router and plug back in
with the reset held in for about 15 seconds. I have no idea what you mean by
wifi card screen so if you would please explain I would appreciate it.

Thanks

John

Jack

Hi,
May be this can Help.

Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wireless connection has just been lost and I need some help on how to
> troubleshoot this. I have not installed anything or changed the system
> configuration. I had no wireless connectivity after first boot up of the
> day. Had been working fine until now. This COMPAQ laptop has Broadcom 54g

on
> XP Pro 2.8 Ghz. Device manager says the hardware is working fine.
> Troubleshoot help files says to reinstall drive I need a disk which I have
> all that came with this system but none seem to have the driver. The two
> 'Driver Recovery CDs' do not seem to have the drivers and I am not even

sure
> if this process will fix my problem. Wireless Network Connection Icon has
> red X but all setting seem to be correct. Can someone please help me with
> this one?
> Thanks
>
> John

John

Jack wrote:
> Hi,
> May be this can Help.
> Wireless - Basic Configuration:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>
> Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks Jack. I can see I have some reading to do.

John