Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > "View Wireless Networks under SP2

"View Wireless Networks under SP2

Neo Anderson

Pre SP2 I could see a, changing, list of Wireless Networks within range of
this desktop. I could even, occasionally, connect to one.

SP2 has offered a different screen view of these networks. MY
network -between this computer and the router- is shown as Security Enabled
Wireless Network. It uses WEP with a big, long encryption key. The others
are Unsecured Wireless Networks.

Does that mean they are wide open? Does it mean someone within range has a
wireless link in a network that is not encrypted?

TIA

Lance

Neo Anderson thought carefully and wrote on 9/28/2004 8:56 PM:

> Pre SP2 I could see a, changing, list of Wireless Networks within range of
> this desktop. I could even, occasionally, connect to one.
>
> SP2 has offered a different screen view of these networks. MY
> network -between this computer and the router- is shown as Security Enabled
> Wireless Network. It uses WEP with a big, long encryption key. The others
> are Unsecured Wireless Networks.
>
> Does that mean they are wide open? Does it mean someone within range has a
> wireless link in a network that is not encrypted?

Yes, they're wide open. I've accidently used someone else's wireless
network to surf the 'net instead of my own.

Lance
*****

Neo Anderson

I did the same the other evening. Luckily for the neighbor (about 400' down
the street) he'd named his network with his last name. I walked down,
invited him here for a little show-n-tell.

--

"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neo Anderson thought carefully and wrote on 9/28/2004 8:56 PM:
>
>> Pre SP2 I could see a, changing, list of Wireless Networks within range
>> of this desktop. I could even, occasionally, connect to one.
>>
>> SP2 has offered a different screen view of these networks. MY
>> network -between this computer and the router- is shown as Security
>> Enabled Wireless Network. It uses WEP with a big, long encryption key.
>> The others are Unsecured Wireless Networks.
>>
>> Does that mean they are wide open? Does it mean someone within range has
>> a wireless link in a network that is not encrypted?

> Yes, they're wide open. I've accidently used someone else's wireless
> network to surf the 'net instead of my own.
>
> Lance
> *****

Lance

400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems getting a
signal to my son's room 50 ft away.

Lance
*****

Neo Anderson thought carefully and wrote on 9/28/2004 9:33 PM:

> I did the same the other evening. Luckily for the neighbor (about 400' down
> the street) he'd named his network with his last name. I walked down,
> invited him here for a little show-n-tell.

Neo Anderson

D-Link DWL-G120

He has a Linksys router wireless to an internal wireless adapter in a
laptop.

We have a near line-of-sight with only window glass in between.

--

"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems getting a
> signal to my son's room 50 ft away.
>
> Lance
> *****
>
> Neo Anderson thought carefully and wrote on 9/28/2004 9:33 PM:
>
>> I did the same the other evening. Luckily for the neighbor (about 400'
>> down the street) he'd named his network with his last name. I walked
>> down, invited him here for a little show-n-tell.

Steve Parry [MVP]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> 400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems
> getting a signal to my son's room 50 ft away.

Neos neighbour

http://tinyurl.com/4hozd

hope that helps ;o)

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Neo Anderson

Well, heck, Steve - Everyone in the neighborhood had one of those. Doesn't
every wi-fi user? ; )

--

"Steve Parry [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>> 400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems
>> getting a signal to my son's room 50 ft away.
>>

> Neos neighbour
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4hozd
>
> hope that helps ;o)
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Lance

Does it do WEP?

Lance
*****

Steve Parry [MVP] thought carefully and wrote on 9/29/2004 1:50 AM:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>
>>400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems
>>getting a signal to my son's room 50 ft away.
>>

> Neos neighbour
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4hozd
>
> hope that helps ;o)

Neo Anderson

At the initial time he was not. We have him all locked down now.

--

"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does it do WEP?
>
> Lance
> *****
>
> Steve Parry [MVP] thought carefully and wrote on 9/29/2004 1:50 AM:
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>>
>>>400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems
>>>getting a signal to my son's room 50 ft away.
>>>

>> Neos neighbour
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4hozd
>>
>> hope that helps ;o)

=?Utf-8?B?T2JpLVdhbiBLZW5vYmk=?=

Actually, certain Linksys systems have MAC address filters so WEP is
unnecessary for keeping unauthorized users out. However, the data can still
be watched and recorded, so WEP is a good idea.