Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Low level Screen Capture. No API/GDI / No DirectX/openGL

Low level Screen Capture. No API/GDI / No DirectX/openGL

smalltownworld@gmail.com

Anyone got an idea of capturing a screen without api and or
opengl/directx?
Was thinking about reading from primary display driver memory but not
sure if it can be parsed into an image . . . Any thoughts?

Jakob Bieling

> Anyone got an idea of capturing a screen without api and or
> opengl/directx?
> Was thinking about reading from primary display driver memory but not
> sure if it can be parsed into an image . . . Any thoughts?

On Mac? Windows? Linux? The answer should already hint you that you
are looking for a platform specific answer. There is no way to do this
portably with Standard C++, the topic of this group. Check the FAQs (you
should have done so before posting already!) for where to best post this
kind of question:

hth
--
jb

Jim Langston

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Anyone got an idea of capturing a screen without api and or
> opengl/directx?
> Was thinking about reading from primary display driver memory but not
> sure if it can be parsed into an image . . . Any thoughts?

Reading direct from video memory should work depending on if your OS lets
you read it. I know at one time on Microsoft platforms video memory started
at C800 I'm not sure if it still does for all graphic modes. I'm not even
sure where to find out where it starts if that's not it.

In other OSes it is probably somewhere else, and you may not have access to
it. So ask in a newsgroup applicable to your OS.