Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Netgear wireless vs. Hotfix Q815485

Netgear wireless vs. Hotfix Q815485

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaDU0S2VsbHk=?=

Hello all.... I am trying to set up a wireless connection to the kids 'puter.
I am using a Netgear WG121 USB adapter. I ran into this situation a while
back where the adapter would not connect to the router. I thought I had this
taken care of but, after sitting in the closet for 6 months and recently
coming back to life, the problem is back.
Netgear sez to remove M$ Hotfix Q815485 from SP2 in Add/Remove Programs
but, SP2 is listed as Service Pack 2, not as the individual fixes.... how do
I get inside this package to remove this single file ??

Rich Kelly
--
If we can''t fix it, it ain''t broke !!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I would rather get a new card that is fully compatible with WPA.
The reason you need to remove the fix is because the card is compatible with
its own WPA concoction.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Rich54Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all.... I am trying to set up a wireless connection to the kids
> 'puter.
> I am using a Netgear WG121 USB adapter. I ran into this situation a while
> back where the adapter would not connect to the router. I thought I had
> this
> taken care of but, after sitting in the closet for 6 months and recently
> coming back to life, the problem is back.
> Netgear sez to remove M$ Hotfix Q815485 from SP2 in Add/Remove Programs
> but, SP2 is listed as Service Pack 2, not as the individual fixes.... how
> do
> I get inside this package to remove this single file ??
>
> Rich Kelly
> --
> If we can''t fix it, it ain''t broke !!

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaDU0S2VsbHk=?=

Jack; I went shopping for a different card/adapter. It seems this info about
being WPA compatible is not listed on the packaging. Being as I recently
bought a Belkin router, I thought I would buy a Belkin card. Nowhere on the
box did it state if it was fully WPA compatible. How am I to find this info
if it's not on the box ??

Rich Kelly
--

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> I would rather get a new card that is fully compatible with WPA.
> The reason you need to remove the fix is because the card is compatible with
> its own WPA concoction.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Rich54Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all.... I am trying to set up a wireless connection to the kids
> > 'puter.
> > I am using a Netgear WG121 USB adapter. I ran into this situation a while
> > back where the adapter would not connect to the router. I thought I had
> > this
> > taken care of but, after sitting in the closet for 6 months and recently
> > coming back to life, the problem is back.
> > Netgear sez to remove M$ Hotfix Q815485 from SP2 in Add/Remove Programs
> > but, SP2 is listed as Service Pack 2, not as the individual fixes.... how
> > do
> > I get inside this package to remove this single file ??
> >
> > Rich Kelly
> > --
> > If we can''t fix it, it ain''t broke !!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

I would not count on any thing that is printed on a Box, the language and
the info is marketing vehicle not technical information.

The countable thing to of is to log to the manufacturer site and look at the
Dada Sheet.

I do not know which Belkin model you have.

But as an Example if you look at this page,
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=272959

This state.

Advantages

.. Adds 802.11g wireless capabilities to desktop and laptop computers, for
faster wireless networking available for home or office

.. Fits any standard 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 USB slot

.. Provides up to 1,000 ft. of wireless coverage

.. Features WPA & WPA2, 64- and 128-bit WEP Encryption

.. Offers backward-compatibility with all 802.11b network devices