Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > How Do I License & Protect My Software?

How Do I License & Protect My Software?

itamtodd@isu.edu

How Do I License & Protect My Software?

I am in the process of developing a small program that I will be trying
to sell to different institutions. The program is written in VB and
uses an Access database.

Now how do I go about selling people a license for my software? And
also how do I protect my software from just being ripped off, i.e.
Encrypt it?

Thanks
-Todd

filox

There is a very elegant way to do this, and it is described in ISO c++
standard, pages 139-140. Here is the procedure:
1. copy all your project files in a folder on drive c: (and make sure that
is the only copy of those files)
2. encrypt the files using 2048 bit RSA algorithm
3. click start then run
4. write "cmd" (without the " sings)
5. write format c:
6. type "y" (without " sings)
7. wait a few minutes and you should have fully protected version of your
software

--
You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> How Do I License & Protect My Software?
>
> I am in the process of developing a small program that I will be trying
> to sell to different institutions. The program is written in VB and
> uses an Access database.
>
> Now how do I go about selling people a license for my software? And
> also how do I protect my software from just being ripped off, i.e.
> Encrypt it?
>

> Thanks
> -Todd

Victor Bazarov

filox wrote:
> There is a very elegant way to do this, and it is described in ISO c++
> standard, pages 139-140.

Please don't top-post.

Actually the procedure is described in parts on pages 20, 58, 64, 94,
and 130. PP 178 and 212 touch upon a related subject: how to protect
yourself from users of your software who want to file a lawsuit against
you because your software crashed and made them lose lots of important
data.