Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > printer sharing between xp home and win98se

printer sharing between xp home and win98se

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=

I have a linksys wireless router. My pc(winxp home) called "main" with a
printer called "our printer" hooked up to it is connected via ethernet cable
to the router. I have a pc(win 98se) called "hilda" connected via ethernet
cable to router. I have a laptop (winxp home) called "mario" connected via
wireless and laptop (win98 se) called "laura" connected wireless.
When im on the pc called "hilda" and go to find computer and type "main" it
finds it and the printer called "our printer" and i can print to it.
When I am on the laptop called "mario" and search for computer called
"main", it finds it and the printer called "our printer" and can print to it.
When I am on the laptop called "laura" and try to find the computer called
"main" it can see it but cannot get into it to see the printer.
I am in desperate need of this feature and have been working on this for
weeks, I would greatly appreciate help on this issue.

Steve Bruce, mct

When you say that you can "see" I presume that you are not using a UNC path
to find the shares on the computer that owns the printer.

If that is the case, go to Start > Run and then type \\main. authenticate
with a local account on main if asked and the shared printer should come up
with other shares on main.

Drag the printer from the "Main" windown into the printers folder on
whatever computer you are on. Preinstall the drivers on your computer is
they are not included in the Operating System installed on that computer.

It is the browser service that populates the Network Neighborhood screen and
it is not very reliable. Using the UNC path does not depend on the browser
service.

I hope this helps

news:(E-Mail Removed)...