Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Help me to choose ??

Help me to choose ??

=?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=

Dear all,

I need to develop an analsys application with .NET
Based on that I am not reaaly sure about the proper solution to implement
that tool and I would like to get your experience opinion.

First of all I have colected data on a centralized SQL server database. What
I need to do is provide an application interface suitable to run defautl or
customized querry to extract different type of data. From that query results
user would be able to print it or export the result anywhere.

The main objective is that the applicatin shuold be reaaly open in case
customer want to customize it. For reporting I was planiing to use crytsla
report.

What is you idea on performing that analysis task and in whihc manner (Web
form or App form) ?

I have heard about report services, what this is about ?

Thnaks for your help on guiding me in suitable solution specification

regards
serge

David Kavanagh

One obvious question to ask is: Do you have a web server to run this one? If
the answer is no, then clearly a Windows App would be the way to go rather
than a Web App.
Although I am vaguely familiar with Crystal Reports, I've never actually
used it in a real project but I'd assume it would be more customizable by a
user within a Win App environment that on a web server - but I could be
wrong.
How many users will you have? If it's only one or two, a Win App may be
easier. If it's a lot, then that points more to a Web App.
If you are using Crystal Reports then I think there isn't too much to do.
Just link it to the database, provide some means to select or build custom
queries, and that's pretty much it. It's almost like a cut down version of
MS Access.

=?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=

Hi david, Thnaks for your reply

Yes each time we provide this SLQ servcer data we have the possbility to get
a web server.
At first I was planning to make it as Web applicatin due to the fact that
those analysis data might be access from a sales man outside the company
intranet.
But my NO knowledge at all on ASP .NEt make me feel a bit septical on the
choise, is it good or bad.

In fact the web interface will execute the request querry to the SQL server
and then display result in X format to user (grid or simple view...)

Thnaks anyway for your tips
regards
serge

"David Kavanagh" wrote:

> One obvious question to ask is: Do you have a web server to run this one? If
> the answer is no, then clearly a Windows App would be the way to go rather
> than a Web App.
> Although I am vaguely familiar with Crystal Reports, I've never actually
> used it in a real project but I'd assume it would be more customizable by a
> user within a Win App environment that on a web server - but I could be
> wrong.
> How many users will you have? If it's only one or two, a Win App may be
> easier. If it's a lot, then that points more to a Web App.
> If you are using Crystal Reports then I think there isn't too much to do.
> Just link it to the database, provide some means to select or build custom
> queries, and that's pretty much it. It's almost like a cut down version of
> MS Access.

Need help to choose my line =?Utf-8?B?UmFtZXNo?= Microsoft Certification 2 08-03-2005 09:32 PM
Help me to choose !!!! =?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?= MCSD 1 01-05-2005 08:40 AM
Need help to choose Revived Soul MCSE 25 05-24-2004 10:51 AM
Help me choose a on-line name? What's In A Name? Computer Support 54 07-27-2003 07:29 PM
Re: what Digital camera to choose Help ? JK Digital Photography 5 07-22-2003 12:03 AM

Advertisments