Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Program to block Windows application

Program to block Windows application

meerubus

Hi,
Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.
Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In addition, if
the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe), can the block
still work?

Thanks a million.
meerubus

Jonathan Mcdougall

meerubus wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
> block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
> run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.

What's wrong with that?

> Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In addition, if
> the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe), can the block
> still work?

Dunno, perhaps if you asked at the right place you would get some
answers.

Jonathan

benben

meerubus wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
> block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
> run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.
> Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In addition, if
> the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe), can the block
> still work?
>
> Thanks a million.
> meerubus

This is OFF-TOPIC but may I hint you to look at group policy.

Ben

Jack Klein

On 28 Apr 2006 18:24:32 -0700, "meerubus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in comp.lang.c++:

> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
> block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
> run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.
> Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In addition, if
> the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe), can the block
> still work?
>
> Thanks a million.
> meerubus

Two possibilities:

1. Uninstall the program.

2. Reformat and install Linux.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

John Carson

"meerubus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program
> to block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child
> likes to run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator
> account. Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In
> addition, if the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe),
> can the block still work?
>
> Thanks a million.
> meerubus

This is severely off-topic since:

1. It probably doesn't require programming.

2. It is Windows specific, whereas this group deals with standard C++ and
not with the details of particular operating systems.

Ask in a group concerned with your particular operating system from a user
point of view, e.g.,

microsoft.public.win2000.general
or
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

--
John Carson

al pacino

GB

meerubus wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
> block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
> run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.
> Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In addition, if
> the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe), can the block
> still work?
>
> Thanks a million.
> meerubus

This is not the sort of thing you need to use C++ for. You just need to
set the permissions on the exe file appropriately (deny execute
permission on the file to the account your child uses). For details, ask
in a Windows group.

Gregg

Tomás

meerubus posted:

> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
> block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
> run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.
> Can I write a C++ program to block it from running? In addition, if
> the pgm filename is changed (eg. halo.exe to xxx.exe), can the block
> still work?
>
> Thanks a million.
> meerubus

A lot of Windows programs check if they're already running by checking if a
certain mutex has already been created. Find out the name of the mutex,
create that mutex, and when the executable file is run, it will think it's
already running and just shut down.

-Tomás

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?=

meerubus wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone advise how to go about writing a (simple?) C++ program to
> block a windows exe file from running? For example, my child likes to
> run halo.exe & the pgm can run even in a non-administrator account.

You just rename the executable. If he's clever he'll know how to either
fix this (he knows the correct file-name or he'll google for it) or
he'll reinstall the program.

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Martin Jřrgensen

Home of Martin Jřrgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk

Default User

al pacino wrote:

This is not IM. Please review the information below.

Brian

header.