Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Training providers in the UK

Training providers in the UK

Ed

Hello all -

I'd like to get the MCSD .NET certification, and I'd be interested in
hearing whether anyone in the group has any recommendations for training
providers in the UK.

My requirements are quite specific, in that I'm a freelance contractor,
so I have no corporate training budget to spend - I've got to pay for
everything myself, and obviously it also means that I'm not earning
money while I'm studying. I also find it difficult to motivate myself
with just dry books!

I'm already an experienced programmer, so what I'm looking for is a
quality training provider that can help me get the certification as
quickly as possible, and at a sensible price. Ideally, purely
instructor-led, or otherwise using good interactive CD-ROM-based
training materials with some kind of instructor-led 'boot camp' session.

If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, I'd be really grateful to hear
them!

Cheers
Ed

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

I am not in the UK but I can tell you I became MCAD by reading books I could
buy at my bookstore (Borders has the best selection for computer books).

The entire cost of my MCAD cost about as much as one college class (around
-$1000) including test prices.

"Ed" wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I'd like to get the MCSD .NET certification, and I'd be interested in
> hearing whether anyone in the group has any recommendations for training
> providers in the UK.
>
> My requirements are quite specific, in that I'm a freelance contractor,
> so I have no corporate training budget to spend - I've got to pay for
> everything myself, and obviously it also means that I'm not earning
> money while I'm studying. I also find it difficult to motivate myself
> with just dry books!
>
> I'm already an experienced programmer, so what I'm looking for is a
> quality training provider that can help me get the certification as
> quickly as possible, and at a sensible price. Ideally, purely
> instructor-led, or otherwise using good interactive CD-ROM-based
> training materials with some kind of instructor-led 'boot camp' session.
>
> If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, I'd be really grateful to hear
> them!
>
> Cheers
> Ed

Ed

Sean wrote:
> I am not in the UK but I can tell you I became MCAD by reading books I could
> buy at my bookstore (Borders has the best selection for computer books).
>
> The entire cost of my MCAD cost about as much as one college class (around
> -$1000) including test prices.

Hi Sean -

Thanks for your message.

I've already got a couple of the MS training books... They seem good,
but I find that I never get around to studying them properly.

What I really need is something to enable me to motivate myself better
to take time out from work, study without distraction, and just get it done!

Cheers
Ed

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

I can understand that and sorry I mentioned Borders bookstore while being a
stupid American that I am and forgetting Borders might not be where you live!

What I need is someone I can call and ask questions when I need. That would
be a great human resource for me.

I self study at home (between semesters at school) and basically log my time
studying but it takes me literally all day to get 7 hours in (my daily quota)
because of extended breaks. I am going to start going to the library as if
its a job.

"Ed" wrote:

> Sean wrote:
> > I am not in the UK but I can tell you I became MCAD by reading books I could
> > buy at my bookstore (Borders has the best selection for computer books).
> >
> > The entire cost of my MCAD cost about as much as one college class (around
> > -$1000) including test prices.

> Hi Sean -
>
> Thanks for your message.
>
> I've already got a couple of the MS training books... They seem good,
> but I find that I never get around to studying them properly.
>
> What I really need is something to enable me to motivate myself better
> to take time out from work, study without distraction, and just get it done!
>
> Cheers
> Ed

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=

ICS the Learn from home company do it
Plus if you look on the Internet there are companies that offer training
over two weeks but if you read the microsoft material then it should put you
in good stead for the exams which you book through prometric ok

"Ed" wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I'd like to get the MCSD .NET certification, and I'd be interested in
> hearing whether anyone in the group has any recommendations for training
> providers in the UK.
>
> My requirements are quite specific, in that I'm a freelance contractor,
> so I have no corporate training budget to spend - I've got to pay for
> everything myself, and obviously it also means that I'm not earning
> money while I'm studying. I also find it difficult to motivate myself
> with just dry books!
>
> I'm already an experienced programmer, so what I'm looking for is a
> quality training provider that can help me get the certification as
> quickly as possible, and at a sensible price. Ideally, purely
> instructor-led, or otherwise using good interactive CD-ROM-based
> training materials with some kind of instructor-led 'boot camp' session.
>
> If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, I'd be really grateful to hear
> them!
>
> Cheers
> Ed

LBO

Ed,
Would *strongly* suggest http://www.trainingcamp.co.uk/ to fulfill your
requirement. Ideal situation, great instructors, etc. It's a place where
you actually retain sincere knowledge *and* potentially (depends on you)
pass the exams. Best program I've seen in the UK by far! *Very* focused on
learning the technology and not just passing the exams.

As you've stated, you already have a clue and need a place where you can
concentrate and "get the job done", this is it. As you're a freelance
contractor, I'd suggest signing-up for the MCAD (one week) track and do the
second half (another week) the next month to finish the MCSD. Contact the
folks @ TrainingCamp and see if there are any promotions and/or discounts
available.

Cheers

news:dddkb7$db3$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...