Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > The value of MCSD: added value to a degree?

The value of MCSD: added value to a degree?

uv2003

Greetings all,

I would like to get some opinions on what you think the value of an
MCSD would be in my situation.

Goal:

I want to work with a team that follows an artifact-driven approach to
analysis and design, and uses code generation and design patterns as
appropriate to implement systems. I'd prefer to use .NET as the target
platform.

What I hope to get out of the MCSD:

I currently have a bachelor's degree in computer information systems
and a C/C++ programming certificate. I have experience with a range of
web application development techniques, including object-oriented Perl
5 coupled with CGI.PM long ago, and now ASP and ASP.NET. I'm hoping
that if I do the MCSD, I will reinforce a lot of what I learned in
school, but for a specific development platform. In doing so, I'm
hoping it will add value to my degree to show that I have the broad
knowledge of system development gained through the degree, and the
specific platform knowledge gained through both hands on experience and
the certification. I also would like to learn more about ORM, as
opposed to ERD that I'm currently familiar with from school. I have
Terry Halpin's book about it, but it's so large and I have not had
time, but it looks like the Solution exam has some parts about using
ORM.

Some people on these boards are saying that the certificate is
worthless compared to a degree, while others are saying it's a good
addition to the degree or in some cases better. I feel like .NET is
here to stay for a while, as a platform, with both Microsoft and Mono
behind it, and that the skills gained learning it in depth can only
help in the long run.

What are your opinions and experiences with this?

Thank you,
Josh

That is my question and the basics of my situation, but for additional
background here is some more info:

Education Background:
I have a bachelor's degree in computer information systems from a good
public university (GSU in Atlanta). I took all the most difficult
programming courses in the degree track because I really enjoy the
challenge of programming, choosing courses to focus on object-oriented
development. I followed the C++ track that culminated in a C++
certificate in addition to my degree. Other key courses taken included:

Math courses: learned set theory and equations, etc...

Decision Sciences: learned about making business decisions and
analyzing data.

System Analysis (Learned about business processes, case studies,
writing requirements specifications, UML Use Case modeling, Conceptual
Diagrams, etc etc, the life-cycle process, CASE tools introduction)

System Design (Learned about using object-oriented approaches to
solving the business needs using both hand-written code and CASE tools
and about the Gang of Four design patterns, database modeling with ERD
created from the conceptual diagram, logical and physical
implementations, component-based software, etc)

Database Management Systems (Learned all about data normalization, SQL
syntax, triggers, stored procs, etc -- We used Sybase if I recall
correctly)

Goal:
As stated above, I want to work with a team that follows an
artifact-driven approach to analysis and design, and uses code
generation and design patterns as appropriate to implement systems. I'd
prefer to use .NET as the target platform.

Work history:
While in the degree program, I worked as a developer at the university,
and implemented one of the university college's web-based document
collection systems using Perl, CGI.PM and Oracle for Linux. This was
before .NET came out. I wrote all my Perl in modular, object oriented
style and really enjoyed writing and learning about object-oriented
principles. I gained a lot of respect for the thousands of Perl
libraries and the LWP package in particular. When .NET came out, I
liked compiled languages better now that I had C++ experience and
wanted to get more experience with using compiled languages for web
development. ASP.NET had a good WebForms namespace and implementation
that differentiated it from the various JSP tag libraries available at
that time, so we chose to use ASP.NET instead of Struts.

So, I and my coworker implemented the college web site using C#,
ASP.NET, Custom Controls, XML, XSLT, XHTML, CSS. We didn't need a
full-blown database, so we used XML files to allow content editors to
submit stories about events happening in departments. We used some gang
of four design patterns in the application. We used the GotDotNet
Thumbnail generator Web Service to query all the department-level web
sites home pages every morning and generate new thumbnail images for
the links to them. That was a lot of fun to make all of that. There was
no politics, no games, just a job to accomplish and a timeframe within
which to do it. I felt like I was applying what I learned in school.
That site has been running for over 3 years now.

After that, I took a permanent position with a large government
contractor and am currently working on a very interesting, but aging
scientific data collection application implemented primarily in ASP
3.0, VB 6, COM, and SQL Server 2000. We have made some advances with
..NET, like using the SQL Reporting Services tool, but have not done a
lot of heavy .NET development yet. I feel like there is too much
political shuffling right now and that the prospect of doing exciting,
new .NET development, or any object-oriented development for that
matter, is slim right now, so I feel like I'm losing time that could be
spent gaining deeper .NET development skills. There is also a portion
of the organization that wants to go with J2EE for everything, but the
recently hired enterprise architect takes a heterogenous view, but I
still think common sense is going to take time to catch up with the
politics.

Side Projects:
I started to learn the architecture of DNN. I started creating a module
for DNN for pulling in content from disparate web sites and extracting
patterns of text using regex or xslt. This is fun and keeps my
knowledge up, but I'm thinking now about doing an MCSD.

I've read a lot of commentary on this board that differs in opinion as
to the value of the certification. In my current position, I work with
a small team that is not using a formal methodology and is not using
exclusively object-oriented principles or design patterns and
code-generation. I want to work with these technologies again. I am
very interested in applying tools and patterns to reduce development
time where appropriate, and to automate tasks. There are some
interesting approaches out there now with Hibernate/NHibernate and
tools like IronSpeed. I'm having no luck really learning about these
things in depth in my current position though.

I feel like my degree taught me a lot because I put a lot into it. I
feel like my work experience after college has so far (4 years) taught
me about some specific technologies (SQL Server 2000, ASP, Source Code
Control tools, Versioning tools, deployment packaging, etc), and more
about the general process of development and a wholllllle lot about the
value of documentation and well-tested systems and test cases data
sets.

But, I don't feel like I'm learning anything new about .NET in my day
to day duties.

KMA

>>But, I don't feel like I'm learning anything new about .NET in my day
to day duties.

Then for this reason alone it's worth doing the exams. Let's face it,
they're not expensive so the financial "loss" is not significant. From your
post it's clear that you have a thirst for knowledge. You already have an
academic qualification, some paid experience and from what I can gather some
projects on the side. These count for far more than MCSD. Perhaps the only
other reason to get it is if there is a position that requires it, but such
vacancies are rare in my experience.

"uv2003" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> [...]
> very interested in applying tools and patterns to reduce development
> time where appropriate, and to automate tasks. There are some
> interesting approaches out there now with Hibernate/NHibernate and
> tools like IronSpeed. I'm having no luck really learning about these
> things in depth in my current position though.
>
> I feel like my degree taught me a lot because I put a lot into it. I
> feel like my work experience after college has so far (4 years) taught
> me about some specific technologies (SQL Server 2000, ASP, Source Code
> Control tools, Versioning tools, deployment packaging, etc), and more
> about the general process of development and a wholllllle lot about the
> value of documentation and well-tested systems and test cases data
> sets.
>
> But, I don't feel like I'm learning anything new about .NET in my day

A MCSD certification will get your resume noticed, and you will receive
about twice as many cold calls from recruiters as someone with the same
background but no certification. Once you are contacted by a recruiter or
prospective employer, it's up to you to sell yourself and take it the rest
of the way. At some point, there will be a panel interview consisting of
senior level developers, and you will be expected to prove to them that you
know your stuff. The interview will revolve around your actual work
experience, not your certification. Based on what I've read here, I don't
think you will have a problem.
The real problem you will face is actually finding an IT shop that use
good software development methodology. I can assure you that 9 out of 10 job
opportunities will provide an experience that is no different than the one
you have now.

> [...]
> very interested in applying tools and patterns to reduce development
> time where appropriate, and to automate tasks. There are some
> interesting approaches out there now with Hibernate/NHibernate and
> tools like IronSpeed. I'm having no luck really learning about these
> things in depth in my current position though.
>
> I feel like my degree taught me a lot because I put a lot into it. I
> feel like my work experience after college has so far (4 years) taught
> me about some specific technologies (SQL Server 2000, ASP, Source Code
> Control tools, Versioning tools, deployment packaging, etc), and more
> about the general process of development and a wholllllle lot about the
> value of documentation and well-tested systems and test cases data
> sets.
>
> But, I don't feel like I'm learning anything new about .NET in my day

uv2003

Thanks for the responses! I think it will be worth it to get the in
depth knowledge and coverage of the framework. I've read through the
first chapter of Amit Kalani's web applications book and thought it was
very good. It shows a lot about the actual life cycle of the pages and
the compilation, etc. I found him answering a lot of my questions
almost immediately as they arose in my mind.

It's just frustrating to not be getting day-by-day experience in the
framework now when I was getting that three years ago. That's
unfortunate about the 9 out of 10 experience. But, it makes sense that
the number of quality shops should not be that much different from the
number of quality candidates. The challenge is to then find places that
have the right requirements for hiring and the right technical
expertise.

I'm also considering doing a master's, but I'm not completely sold on
the curriculums I've seen yet. A lot of them for CIS/MIS are more
managerial, though there are technical tracks as well, but I've seen
some course descriptions describe things like "XML, XSLT, and CSS" as
"advanced topics". But, if they provide a good foundation for how
things _should_ be it may serve as a way to help identify exactly what
a good shop is. Plus, it would put me in contact with professional
people again and their contacts. I'm interested in enterprise
architecture, network programming, and component software.

The GSU curriculum has been redesigned though now and looks more
promising: http://www2.cis.gsu.edu/CompleteMastersProgram.pdf

I may decide to do the MCSD first and then opt for the master's next
spring.

Most of the courses below from the GSU curriculum and degree tracks
looks pretty interesting. I graduated before they started teaching
object-oriented approaches to web application development. When I did
my C++ track, in the final course we learned the Win32 API and MFC on
top of that so we created an MFC application. Plus, I think it would be
good to take courses specifically about project management, innovation,
and requirements. All of those were aspects of my previous courses, but
not a topic unto themselves.

Course Offerings
CIS 8000 - Information Technology Project Management
CIS 8010 - Process Innovation
CIS 8020 - Systems Integration
CIS 8030 - Software Requirements Management
CIS 8040 - Fundamentals of Database Management Systems
CIS 8050 - Telecommunications Design
CIS 8060 - Supply Chain Management
CIS 8070 - Mobile and Wireless Information Systems
CIS 8080 - Security and Privacy of Information and Information Systems
CIS 8090 - Enterprise Architecture
CIS 8100 - Management of Information Services
CIS 8200 - Information Systems Strategy
CIS 8210 - Global Systems Sourcing
CIS 8220 - International Information Technology Issues and Policies
CIS 8260 - Knowledge Management
CIS 8299 - Topics in Information Systems Management
CIS 8300 - Software Quality Management
CIS 8310 - Systems Development
CIS 8389 - Directed Readings
CIS 8391 - Field Study in Computer Information Systems
CIS 8399 - Topics in Information Systems Development
CIS 8401 - Mobile Applications Development
CIS 8411 - Wireless Networks
CIS 8499 - Topics in Telecommunications
CIS 8500 - Human Computer Interfaces, Usability and Assistive
Technologies
CIS 8599 - Topics in Medical Informatics
CIS 8699 - Topics in Business Process Innovation
CIS 8700 - Business Process Analysis and Modeling
CIS 8710 - Process Innovation Technology
CIS 8850 - Web Applications Development
CIS 8900 - Knowledge Systems
CIS 8990 - MS Thesis

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

Our college has a very good IT masters program in Network security and has
gotten some award if I am not mistaken. The real irony is that the BS degree
plan on the same track is a full blown disaster zone. Its an IST degree plan
that walks and talks like a MIS degree plan gone horribly wrong, which is why
I have been very aggressive about getting certified before I graduate becuase
my college is teaching me nothing.

That all said, the Network Masters program is very good and I would do it if
I had the money.
Univeristy of Houston